Clark Kent: Mark IV Idiocracy

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
This is something I recorded for myself so that I can listen to it again with clear ears and be a better judge. It goes like my every clip... same shizzle being played over and over again with different variations of massive tone. ;) If you're interested give it a listen and tell me which one you liked the best. These are VERY SUBTLE changes but try to hear the difference and judge.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1054252

The issue here is that I'm pretty close to my dream tone but there's some fizz that irritates me a bit. Not because of the tone but it makes my whole patch a bit clammy sounding. I'm looking for maximum snarl and clarity with minimum fizz but still being clear. Wow... this is becoming a wine tasting!

1) 0:00-0:23 CALI+Redwirez M160 with a slight low pass filter taking away some of the fizz
2) 0:23-0:49 CALI only. My main patch with it's "natural" fizz
3) 0:49-1:24 CALI only. A higher high pass and a more even fizz remove
4) 1:24-1:50 Cali only. Less mid scoopage and a shelving high cut taking away some of the fizz

I like the 3rd one the most. I found out that if you add another amp in parallel to a preset it changes a lot the high frequencies. You should try that, maybe it helps with getting rid of the fizz. Maybe try a combination of mark Iv and mark IIc+.

Brewjangle said:
Nice and chunky! Not sure which I like more. :?:

Me either... that's why I posted this. :) I guess they are all good enough.

5t3f said:
I like the 3rd one the most. I found out that if you add another amp in parallel to a preset it changes a lot the high frequencies. You should try that, maybe it helps with getting rid of the fizz. Maybe try a combination of mark Iv and mark IIc+.

Must try that... I really don't like the IIC+. I hated it in Mark V and in Axe too. To me it sounds like a flubby Mark IV. :)

Felix said:
Which mic did you use with the cali?

I used the SM57. I know the fizz comes from that mic sim.

This can only be judged in the context it has been given is, so what holds here may not hold when there are other instruments as well..

First of all I like the tone but I feel all three have a tiny bit too much gain for my liking. Sometimes I think dailing back the gain and increasing clarity can be more brutal.

The first patch is very upfront, however maybe a little bit of flub. Could also be your picking technique.

That said the 2nd one is tighter than the first to my ears, but a bit more muddy with the single note stuff. Again could be picking technique.

3rd patch is probably my favourite as well, nice and tight like the second patch with a healthy amount of bass, but not muddy.

4th patch is a very close second, I actually prefer the sound of it by itself however I think in the context of a mix the 3rd patch would be better.

Sweet tones man! I'd drop it into a mix and have a play around with that- guitars that sound great in the mix generally sound a bit thin when played by themselves and none of these really seem thin. :)

1, 4, 3, 2

3rd sounded good after the 2nd, but when I compared 3rd to the 1st or 4th, I liked the 3rd least. Then I compared 1st to the 4th and liked the 1st a bit more.

I could end up to a whole different result with a full band mix ;)

1, 4, 2, 3. I think that the Redwire cab adds some girth in the midrange that helps make the chunks, more, well, chunky. I think the increased mids on the 4th help it cut more, and the 3rd sounded muddy as a result of the increased low-pass filter. I think 1 will fit in a mix the best too, because of the mids, and it has the right amount (and the right kind) of fizz.

Back
Top Bottom