Clark Kent: Axe-Fx Recto Orange vs. Mesa Dual Rectifier

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... ID=9319040

This isn't a 100% fair comparison since I used the MODERN channel on the real Recto and the Recto Orange on the Axe-Fx. However I used the exact same EQ settings in the amps. Both clips are going through Axe-Fx's stock cab RECTO2. So this is more of a preamp comparison. I did this because we're making some serious recordings and we wanted to see which one is better... axe or the real thing.

Try to guess which one is which. Which one do you prefer?

The second clip has more of a stereo image, which tells me you've used something like the stereo enhancer or a delay trick and only for that reason i would say the second is the Axefx, unless you've used 2 mics on the real cab or double tracked then panned the real cab. Anyway i like the first clip better..seems a little tighter to me. But both good and very similar.

Axe-Fx is the second half of the clip. Neither sounded better than the other, just a bit different. In the mix probably couldn't tell the difference.

I'd say that the first one is the real Mesa. Am I certain? No, but the reason I say that the first is the real amp is not that the second clip is brighter and more "pristine", but that the first clip has a complex low-mid "thump" of sub-harmonics that you can hear when playing the b3-4-2 riff. The second clip is completely lacking that complex "thump" in that riff. That's why I prefer clip 1 even though it's darker.

I like #1 better. I think that's the Axe.
Clip #2 has a hair more top end sizzle (IMO) that I usually hear on Recto heads.

Both clips sound awesome though. Clark, you track great tones.

Wow this got very interesting! The first tone is Axe-Fx and the second is the real Recto. Funny how most of you guessed wrong. Anyways... It's so close that I can't blame you. We ended up using Axe with Recto New and German cab. We have a real Recto but we choose to use Axe-Fx. :lol:

The axe just sounds more in your face than it does when you use a real head as the pre. I've done this alot with my 6505 and it has the same kinda distant tone when I run it into the axe for cab IR's

Well atleast i know my ears are good. Two seconds of the second clip and i knew it was the real one. Its almost less of an audible thing and more of a physical reaction for me to certain sounds. When i play my arion analog delay i actually get a taste sensation in my mouth.

I found the first clip to have a distinctive flatness to it, almost a slight limiting of sorts. The second was just more dynamic to me. I think however if the axe was run into the tube power section, the difference would be nearly elimintated.

That said the axe was still quite close.

Bummer you posted the answer before I got a chance to come back... I realized I never said which I like better. I liked the first better and guessed wrong regarding the Axe-Fx. That's a good thing right? :lol:

I modelled a mesa patch on my axe-fx and put it side by side by my dual recto. the other guitarist in my band couldn't guess what was playing.

Both sound great - and I actually prefer the 1st clip.

Care to post the amp settings/patch so that we can have a look?

I think the 2nd one sounds richer and fuller while the first one sounds a little lifeless. I have no idea which is which, but definitely go with whatever you did for the second part.

In the end we got best results with the german cab and recto new amp. Gain 8.5, bass 4, middle 6, treble 6,5 and bias 0.205. Everything else is stock. Noise gate with everything at noon and input level at noon. We're using a PRS Custom 24.

Clark Kent said:
In the end we got best results with the german cab and recto new amp. Gain 8.5, bass 4, middle 6, treble 6,5 and bias 0.205. Everything else is stock. Noise gate with everything at noon and input level at noon. We're using a PRS Custom 24.

Didn't you get good results with the Redwirez IRs?
Have you tried micing up the real Recto?

Back
Top Bottom