Clapton Preset

Kelleys Heroes

Experienced
I'm looking for a generic preset for overall Clapton tones. I am doing a one-off Clapton tribute, house guitarist. Looking for one preset/rig to do the whole show.

My goal is to plug into a rig that is pretty close to what he might use on one of his tours in the last 30-ish years, to use as a starting point, obviously tweaking to my tastes, and then focusing 100% on playing his repertoire. I am not trying to replicate tone off any of his tunes/records, so the Bluesbreakers stuff, Layla presets, etc. isn't all that useful to me.

I researched his equipment and found a ridiculous amount of amps and effects. I'm not on a Clapton tone-seek, I'm really just looking to pass, and let my fingers do the talking.

I'm open to commercial presets, if anyone thinks they are worthy. Also any opinion about existing fractal presets that knowledgable folks might use is welcome. Or @austinbuddy presets- which I already own.

I'm looking for a generic preset for overall Clapton tones. I am doing a one-off Clapton tribute, house guitarist. Looking for one preset/rig to do the whole show.

My goal is to plug into a rig that is pretty close to what he might use on one of his tours in the last 30-ish years, to use as a starting point, obviously tweaking to my tastes, and then focusing 100% on playing his repertoire. I am not trying to replicate tone off any of his tunes/records, so the Bluesbreakers stuff, Layla presets, etc. isn't all that useful to me.

I researched his equipment and found a ridiculous amount of amps and effects. I'm not on a Clapton tone-seek, I'm really just looking to pass, and let my fingers do the talking.

I'm open to commercial presets, if anyone thinks they are worthy. Also any opinion about existing fractal presets that knowledgable folks might use is welcome. Or @austinbuddy presets- which I already own.
I honestly would reach for the ‘59 Bassman with a Strat. That can get you there. Just a killer versatile amp. Can get the quack happening too.

For the last couple decades or so, he's used tweed amps (either a HP Twin or Bandmaster, IIRC), strat with his mid boost circuitry (a big, wide boost centered at 500 Hz), and a leslie in parallel with the amp. No verb or delay unless it's through the FOH board.

It's actually a really simple rig.
I mean...his current bandmasters were built by Alexander Dumble, but they're still bandmasters.

I would check out this youtube video of Joe Bonamassa telling the story of inviting Clapton to play with him at the Royal Albert Hall. I'm a newbie so I'm not allowed to post urls yet but the title is:

Joe Bonamassa on the Simple Secret to Clapton's Sound​

Its only a 5 minute video but if you want to jump straight to the gear info you can go to 3:00 mark. It might surprise you?

Thanks all. I'm looking for specific presets. There is a wealth of info on his gear, which validate the amps you guys suggest, they just don't get me any closer to this gig than my own random presets. My own take on this is that, if Clapton had a walk-on gig using a Fractal with a stock strat, and his tech dialed in something for him, I highly doubt he would use the bandmaster or HP Twin as a starting point. I feel this way on the rare occasion that I try to dial in a Gilmour or Townshend sound with a HiWatt. Some of the vintage stuff they used just because that's all they had!

https://www.whereseric.com/the-vaul...ptons-guitar-amp-and-equipment-set-historical

Interesting -- not an ordinary 57 Band Master -- but rebuilt by Alexander Dumble. -- Tech said to Fender specs ---- :D yeah right

Back
Top Bottom