Cigarette smell in used Axe-Fx II

Yeah most of the smell seems to be coming from inside the case, I already wiped the surface off. But the vent holes are somewhat small to allow a lot of ventilation.

Upon opening it, it doesn't look like there is any tar on anything like you'd see in an old PC. Maybe just airing it out with the top off will help.

2018-08-22 17.53.25.jpg

Yeah, I reckon airing for a bit is a good plan, and if that doesn't work, maybe a wipe down with a bit of Naptha or equivalent (Shellite here in Oz), but don't go splashing it around in there, it'll just wash all the gunk into impossible to get to corners...

And while we're talking smoker stories...

My partner and i bought the house in which we currently live about 8 years ago; was a bit of a shambles, and one room in particular was a real wreck, couple of holes punched in the wall etc, and absolutely WREAKED of cigarette smoke..the walls were covered in a thin sheen of nicotine..
So we got to work patching the holes, pulling out the old stinky carpet and washing the walls/ceiling down...three washes with sugar soap later and there were still dirty brown streaks of nicotine dribbling down, the mop and brush turning brown, we figured enough, we're starting to eat through the plaster, so bought a big can of the thickest undercoat we could find, guaranteed to cover anything etc.
And it worked!
Covered it all up fine, painted it all up, but.... still the smell of smoke prevailed...
After a couple of weeks of this smell not dissipating i thought right, time for the full sniff test.
Nope, not the walls, they smell fine, not in the corners, not around the window...my trusty nose lead me to the rooms door, which was one of those plain pine doors that had been oiled or varnished or something...
I scratched at it with my fingernail and sure enough, what we thought was varnish was actually a coating of nicotine/tar/whatever cigarette smoke covers things with!
The whole door was evenly coated with a golden-brown film of nicotine and it actually looked like it had been varnished! Which is why we never figured...
So, took it out the back, scrubbed it down (big time YUK!) painted it up and viola, smell gone.

Can't imagine how many years and how many cigarettes it took...

I've successfully reduced the stench of cigarette smoke from guitars and cases in the past by closing them up in their case with some Bounce dryer sheets in there with them and walking away for a week or two.

Not sure I'd advocate dropping a dryer sheet into the Axe-Fx -- I don't know if any part of them is conductive or could cause problems with the fan inside of it.

I've successfully reduced the stench of cigarette smoke from guitars and cases in the past by closing them up in their case with some Bounce dryer sheets in there with them and walking away for a week or two.

Not sure I'd advocate dropping a dryer sheet into the Axe-Fx -- I don't know if any part of them is conductive or could cause problems with the fan inside of it.

Do this all the time after playing in smoked-filled bar rooms. Also leaving stuff outside during the day really helps.

Do this all the time after playing in smoked-filled bar rooms. Also leaving stuff outside during the day really helps.

Thankfully, there are no more smoke filled bar rooms in the Netherlands. The downside being that now sometimes half your audience is outside for a smoke instead of watching your performance. Apparently the need for new nicotine trumps watching the show you came to see. Nicotine is a harsh mistress indeed.

The only bars I know where you can still smoke are very small ones, where you can't play anyway, and bars catering to the punk/extreme left crowd. Often in buildings occupied by squatters of the same political persuasion. Because apparently being an anti-globalist anti-capitalist anti-sexist diehard vegan does not seem to be at odds at being proud of being addicted to the products of the most cynical evil remorseless soulless corporations that are out there.

I would put it in a warm dry place with fresh air. With the top left off, point a fan at it for 24 hours or so.

The only bars I know where you can still smoke are very small ones, where you can't play anyway, and bars catering to the punk/extreme left crowd. Often in buildings occupied by squatters of the same political persuasion. Because apparently being an anti-globalist anti-capitalist anti-sexist diehard vegan does not seem to be at odds at being proud of being addicted to the products of the most cynical evil remorseless soulless corporations that are out there.

Anything wrong with that ? Pls explain as there seems to be a lot under the grass here, especially for a free country as Holland used to be.

Back
Top Bottom