Choosing FRFR for my Fractal AX8

SebK

Hey!

I'm about to take the leap and go for a FRFR for my fractal ax8. Right now, I play through a Seymour Duncan PS170 and a Bogner V30 2x12.

I mainly play metalcore with dropped-C and dropped-B tuning and the occasional breakdown. A nice low-end on the palm mutes are very important.

I've narrowed it down to the Yamaha DXR 10 (to be found at quite a low price, as they're going out of production) or (a pair of the) the headrush FRFR-112. The purpose would be for bedroom playing, as well as live playing. In an ideal world, I'd be A/B'ing them, but they aren't easily available where I live.

I've extensively searched the Fractal and Kemper forum with this question, but I never found any advice for drop tuned metal.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
I cant speak to how good the Yamaha would be. But I can tell you with confidence that the a pair of Headrush 112 or 108's will easily get you the sound you want. The Headrush speakers have tons of balls, sound clear at low and high volumes and are very loud.
My wife and I were sipping some drinks down and listening to music through my 2 Headrush 112's. It felt and sounded like we were at a arena concert, Freakin awesome time!!!! I use them for monitor's/ music playback/ Amp tones they do it all( although for mixing a good set of headphones would be more accurate). I would recommend getting them off the floor, they can get be a little boomy when you use them as a floor wedge I use a pair of monitor stands at ear height. For the money you cant beat them.
To answer your question, they will easily output the range of frequency's needed for drop tuning's.

Last edited:
I’ve used a DXR10 as my stage monitoring for a few years now and have been really happy with it, but I’m an E standard 6 stringer for the most part. It is “flat” down to 60Hz (There’s actually a bit of a bass bump there before it goes to 10dB down at 50.) so it does cover the low B.
I haven’t tried the Headrush so I can’t offer any opinion there. The larger driver gets you a little more extended range at the cost of a couple extra pounds of weight. As far as output both are maxing out around 130dB so it’s a wash there.
The real question if you’re an amp/cab user is, will you like running FRFR?

Hey!

I'm about to take the leap and go for a FRFR for my fractal ax8. Right now, I play through a Seymour Duncan PS170 and a Bogner V30 2x12.

I mainly play metalcore with dropped-C and dropped-B tuning and the occasional breakdown. A nice low-end on the palm mutes are very important.

I've narrowed it down to the Yamaha DXR 10 (to be found at quite a low price, as they're going out of production) or (a pair of the) the headrush FRFR-112. The purpose would be for bedroom playing, as well as live playing. In an ideal world, I'd be A/B'ing them, but they aren't easily available where I live.

I've extensively searched the Fractal and Kemper forum with this question, but I never found any advice for drop tuned metal.

Thanks a lot!

I have the small Headrush for home and Friedman for gigs. Buy one, you’ll love it.
Bad ass looking like a tube amp feel and tone is awesome. I also play an AX8.
Friedman is awesome!

Thanks for your replies so far!

I'm very tempted by the headrush. According to Kemper and TGP forums, they sound as good as the Headrush, but are a lot cheaper. However, I'm very sceptical about this and I have no opportunity to A/B them. Money isn't that big of an issue here, but if the headrush is indeed as good as the DXR, I'd go for 2 headrush 12's.

I also found a good deal on a used Yamaha DXR15, which would be cheaper than a new Headrush frfr12. Would this just be overkill for bedroom use or would it be a good option?

@Prsmusicman would you consider the Friedman to be a lot better than the Headrush?
@Hellbat Do you think that, allthough the frequency charts match up, it will give the same "oomph" at high volumes, without farting out? I want the FRFR because I want to experiment more with cab simulations, instead of being tied down to only using my Bogner, and to have a better portability.

My DXR10 is more than loud enough for my needs, but I’m just using it as a monitor so it just has to be heard over acoustic drums in a pop music situation. I’m not competing with a beast laying out blast beats or anything...

I have used it as an ’amp’ in a metal situation against a 50W 1x12 tube combo and it was able to hold up no problem.

Hey!

Thanks a lot!

As far a metal, the Headrush may not do it for you. If run thru the house, your problems should be solved but for metal if you are going to mic, the Headrush may not be what you want. I have the small Headrush for home room and will take to rehearsal from time to time because it's so light and easy to transport. Does well at rehearsal but not a metal amp. However my main FRFR amp is my Friendman ASC-12. It's SO cool looking (like a regular tube amp/cab) and sounds awesome. It can handle anything you'l throw at it and can certainly be tweaked via your AX8 for sound you are looking for. The Friedman amp is just bad ass and I could see it looking and sounding metal.
The Atomic frfr if popular, the Headrush and the Line 6 will work with our AX8. The Atomic is a weird looking wedge and I don't like the way it looks and the Headrush, both sizes are pretty small. If you are asking my opinion, I think the Friedman ASC-12 would be perfect.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom