"Chingy" sound

Rinkleton

I've been struggling to get a real bright top end, but compressed sound that is overdriven but doesn't break up. I dunno what I'm even talking about. But the best example I can think of is the right panned guitar in Lady Picture Show by STP. And then the rhythm guitar in Cumbersome by Seven Mary Three.

Any good amp/cab recommendations?

i think it has a lot to do with the guitar and pickups too. what guitar do you use?

Mostly a Gibson Explorer. Not exactly sure what pickups but they are pretty hot. Almost every guitar tone I love comes from Les Pauls (I'm pretty sure that's what STP usually played). But I just can't seem to get a smooth, present top end that cuts through the mix. Unless it's really harsh and warbly.

Mostly a Gibson Explorer. Not exactly sure what pickups but they are pretty hot. Almost every guitar tone I love comes from Les Pauls (I'm pretty sure that's what STP usually played). But I just can't seem to get a smooth, present top end that cuts through the mix. Unless it's really harsh and warbly.

There's a video of STP playing Lady Picture Show on Letterman, and it looks like Dean DeLeo is playing a Les Paul Special with P90 pickups. I suspect that's where some of the chimey top end comes from.

Looks like the guitarist from Seven Mary Three might also use P90s in a Les Paul.

If you haven't already tried them, you could give one of the AC30 models a shot. The DC30 might also be worth a crack. But I do agree with Chris, a lot of it probably comes down to the pickups (P90s).

Back
Top Bottom