Chinese Knock-off Earphones ...

Rane

Experienced
Hey guys,

I actually posted a thread about this in another forum, but haven't gotten a response, so I figured I'd post here as well.

Anyway, I almost bought a pair of Sony headphones on ebay a few weeks ago, but ended of realizing they were Chinese fakes. I'd been looking for a decent pair of IEM's for live use. Upon contacting the seller and asking if they were in fact genuine (I stated that I would like to cancel my purchase if they were not), he offered to cancel the transaction (without directly stating that they were fake).

So, I found these Sony MDR EX300 earphones that look good and are only $18 ... Which also makes me suspicious. I'm wondering if they're also fake. They're supposed to be factory refurbished, but the factory refurbished EX300's from Sony's web site are $60. There are a few sellers on ebay selling the same product, I emailed asking them if the earphones were genuine and they responded as follows:

These are genuine, refurbished by sony headphones. We never sell fakes. It is illegal and dishonest. If we sell a generic item then we do not say a brand. Thanks, Cheri

Hello and thank you for your interest in our products. These earphones are Sony earphones, purchased by our supplier. Sony is listed as their contact for questions, specs, etc.

yes, this is genuine from sony. The packaging is from sony as well.

I don't know. They all sound legit to me. I guess it's possible that their supplier is sending them fake merchandise and they don't know it.

You guys have any thoughts on this? Part of me says "Duh! It's waaay too good of a deal. They're fake." The other part of me says "What if...? It might be worth a shot."

Last edited:
Two proverbs come to mind: you get what you pay for and don't buy anything suspicious from eBay.

LOL Yeah, it's that first one that I really don't like. I always want everything to be cheap and awesome. Oh well. Perhaps I'll just have to cough up 70 or so bucks and buy something worthwhile. Anyone have any earphones that they'd recommend?

Well off you want 100 dollar range akg 240 studio or for closed back headphones go for sennheiser HD something for the same price range.

I own both the sennheiser and the akg 240 studio but obviously I use the 240 more :lol its nice in My opinion

I often buy fakes and knock offs from ebay and dx and meritline, etc. I have a strange feeling that these are legit, though. US seller with 84 of these sold. Usually, sellers who sell fakes wouldn't just sell 1 fake; they'd sell many of them. From reading his feedback, none of his customers are complaining about how they received a fake item. I could be wrong, but I'm putting my money on that these are real.

Edit: if you really want them, then buy em. If you find out they're fake, then get a refund. No harm, no loss. eBay really really favors buyers.

I have bought fake headphones from china an dwhen they sucked got a refund anyway.

Back
Top Bottom