Cheapest way to reamp on a Mac

TheGoatLord

Experienced
Hey guys, really simple question here. I know that I can make an aggregate device on my mac to re-amp a track, being able to listen to the processed signal while hearing the unprocessed master track, but can I do this without a second interface? It seems as it is now that I can only re-amp if I have everything else muted... which kind of defeats the purpose of being able to change settings on the fly.

I'm using Logic X and my axeII as my interface if anyone wanted to know DAW/Hardware.

5 second google search from the Axe wiki:

How to reamp:

The USB output signal of the Axe-Fx II always consists of 4 signals: 4 x mono / 2x2 stereo. There's nothing you have to set up in the Axe-Fx for this.
Channels 3 and 4 contain the raw data from the instrument input, without processing by the Axe-Fx. You record this on the computer by selecting input signals 3 and 4 as sources.
Play back this recording from the software into the Axe-Fx, by setting the output source to Axe-Fx II in the software, and selecting USB as input source in the Axe-Fx (I/O menu).
Tweak the signal on the Axe-Fx II by crating an empty preset and adding effect blocks, such as Amp and Cab.
When you are happy with the result, now record channels 1 and 2 which are the reamped audio.

The aggregate device in OSX is for using 2 different audio interfaces, ie: Axe FX & ............

5 second google search from the Axe wiki:

How to reamp:

The USB output signal of the Axe-Fx II always consists of 4 signals: 4 x mono / 2x2 stereo. There's nothing you have to set up in the Axe-Fx for this.
Channels 3 and 4 contain the raw data from the instrument input, without processing by the Axe-Fx. You record this on the computer by selecting input signals 3 and 4 as sources.
Play back this recording from the software into the Axe-Fx, by setting the output source to Axe-Fx II in the software, and selecting USB as input source in the Axe-Fx (I/O menu).
Tweak the signal on the Axe-Fx II by crating an empty preset and adding effect blocks, such as Amp and Cab.
When you are happy with the result, now record channels 1 and 2 which are the reamped audio.

The aggregate device in OSX is for using 2 different audio interfaces, ie: Axe FX & ............

5 seconds spent reading my post:

I know how to re-amp, my issue is being able to hear the rest of the tracks, unprocessed, while I tweak my settings. What you're suggesting, the most straight forward way to re-amp only gives you the one track by itself or the entire master mix run through the amp/cab you have set up. I thought my question was pretty clear in explaining that.

I know how to re-amp, my issue is being able to hear the rest of the tracks, unprocessed, while I tweak my settings. What you're suggesting, the most straight forward way to re-amp only gives you the one track by itself or the entire master mix run through the amp/cab you have set up. I thought my question was pretty clear in explaining that.

Does your mac have a digital audio out? If so you may be able to set up an aggregate device routing this to the digital in of the Axe FX and not require another interface to do what you want - you might need to get some kind of converter cable though.

Sorry, guess I misunderstood your post, my bad. How are you monitoring? Have you tried using your computers output, through headphones or something? I think the issue might be that in logic you can do 4 channels coming in to the computer but only 2 out, I guess you could maybe hard pan your stereo signal with one side as the dry signal and the other as the effected signal. If you were using your computer to monitor you could monitor the effected signal coming back to your computer and simply make a copy of the dry tracks and monitor them as well. Yes you would have to still make an aggregate device but your second interface is your macs built in audio.

Aggregation hasn't worked well with the Axe-Fx up until now. I haven't tried it again since upgrading to Lion, but the gist of it is: aggregation requires a high degree of synchronization to be done between the aggregated devices. CoreAudio was supposed to be handle this but the reality was far from promise -- if you wanted reliable aggregation you had to write custom drivers. All the reliably-aggregatable devices, pre-Mavericks, used custom drivers (see Apogee, etc.).

The Axe-Fx relies on CoreAudio so it's at the mercy of CoreAudio and I have to say, all my attempts to make a a reliable aggregate with it any my Duet or built-in audio were miserable failures pre-Mavericks. I haven't tried it with Mavericks yet though, let me try it tonight and I'll get back to you.

I'd start by trying to use the built-in audio on your Mac to see if that aggregates well. That a sufficient low-latency audio interface to test with.

I've been trying to figure out a way to use my internal sound card to play back the master while using the Axe to play back my re-amp tone. I'm just running into basic studio monitors so maybe doing a digital out or just converting the 1/8" jack into split 1/4" would be enough with an aggregate set up.

I've been trying to figure out a way to use my internal sound card to play back the master while using the Axe to play back my re-amp tone. I'm just running into basic studio monitors so maybe doing a digital out or just converting the 1/8" jack into split 1/4" would be enough with an aggregate set up.

I'd just try a 1/8" analog adaptor first. Aggregate it with the Axe-Fx and use the aggregate in Logic. I'm still on Logic 9 -- does Logic X let you select multiple audio interfaces or does it still insist you make an aggregate and use the aggregate?

I'd just try a 1/8" analog adaptor first. Aggregate it with the Axe-Fx and use the aggregate in Logic. I'm still on Logic 9 -- does Logic X let you select multiple audio interfaces or does it still insist you make an aggregate and use the aggregate?

I think it still insists that you use the aggregate.

I'm going to have to buy some converters to make this work. If it does, I'll make a post on how to do it. I don't see why this wouldn't be an easy way to re-amp. Maybe not to record if there's latency but the axe does that just fine on its own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom