[Chart] FM3 Block CPU Usage Estimates

@chris Is this still accurate and dependable or have things improved/changed in the last year and change? I also noticed that shunts weren't listed, yet I know they use up a little DSP, which is why I always try to condense my presets as much as possible. Just curious.

Thanks for this!
It's missing new reverb and drive models and the Looper. From my experiments the Looper block uses up to 5%. From quickly watching the Asylum Hall Reverb model on High, on the FM3 with Cygnus v4 I show 29% usage. The Ultra-High setting took it up another 3-ish%.

Last edited:
The base cpu @11 %
Is this used at all times as default by the System?
So we lose 11% straight off the Bat?

Always whatever is actually loaded.

Yes. A blank layout uses 11% and the approximate usable limit is 80%. These numbers on their own don’t really mean much. Actually using and adding blocks on the unit brings it all together.

The FM3 just launched. We will probably see improvements to all of this over time. Majority of blocks have had decreased CPU usage during testing so it can probably get even better from here.
I just checked CPU usage on my FM3 (firmware v5.02)with a completely blank preset, and it measures as 13.8%. Is there a list or suggestions on any IO or other configurations that can be changed to get back down to 11%? I tried defeating output EQ, but the CPU save was negligible.

I just checked CPU usage on my FM3 (firmware v5.02)with a completely blank preset, and it measures as 13.8%. Is there a list or suggestions on any IO or other configurations that can be changed to get back down to 11%? I tried defeating output EQ, but the CPU save was negligible.
This is a very old list/chart. Don't take it as gospel; it'll change slightly with every FW update. No, there's nothing anyone other than FAS can do to reduce CPU usage on either a blank preset or on a full preset (other than simple tricks like reducing reverb quality, using only one IR, that sort of thing).

This is a very old list/chart. Don't take it as gospel; it'll change slightly with every FW update. No, there's nothing anyone other than FAS can do to reduce CPU usage on either a blank preset or on a full preset (other than simple tricks like reducing reverb quality, using only one IR, that sort of thing).
Thanks for the reply. Even if the list is old, it is still very useful as in my tests the numbers are still close. The only real outlier was the CPU with a blank preset, and I assumed there might be a global setting of some kind that could eat some CPU.

The FM3 is full of little details that are not obvious but can help greatly with its use, and the chart pointed out a few of those. One is to stay away from reverb if delays will do the job if you want lots of effects.

Back
Top Bottom