Changing to a Bareknuckle Bridge Pickup in a Jackson PC-1

I don’t know whether it nails the JP tone, but I have the feeling it will suit my desires just wonderfully! I can't wait to try it out.

I'm just trying to figure out what conductor version of the nail bomb to order. Their braided two conductor or their 4 conductor?

As you can see in this picture, the wire that connects the bridge pickup to the guitar's circuit board has two wires, a red one and a black one. And if I buy the two conductor version of their pickup, am I supposed to just solder the black wire on to the Nailbomb's metal shield, which is the ground, right?

Here is the Super 3 That came out of the PC1. I cut the connector part of the wire off it. This wire with the plug for the PCB will be wired to the new Nailbomb, somehow... When I figure it out. I'll buy the correct conductor version of the Nailbomb.

I hope that all made sense. I'm sleep-deprived as of late and my brain is kinda foggy.

DSCF9021.JPG

I don’t know whether it nails the JP tone, but I have the feeling it will suit my desires just wonderfully! I can't wait to try it out.

I'm just trying to figure out what conductor version of the nail bomb to order. Their braided two conductor or their 4 conductor?

As you can see in this picture, the wire that connects the bridge pickup to the guitar's circuit board has two wires, a red one and a black one. And if I buy the two conductor version of their pickup, am I supposed to just solder the black wire on to the Nailbomb's metal shield, which is the ground, right?

Here is the Super 3 That came out of the PC1. I cut the connector part of the wire off it. This wire with the plug for the PCB will be wired to the new Nailbomb, somehow... When I figure it out. I'll buy the correct conductor version of the Nailbomb.

I hope that all made sense. I'm sleep-deprived as of late and my brain is kinda foggy.

View attachment 92835
You fairly snipped that pup quite short 😭

Why not get the 4 conductor wire, it doesn't cost more than the 2 wire. Then you've more options

Fair enough. Sounds good!

I'm not the most experienced guitar wiring guy. I'll have to figure out what wire goes to what wire, lol.

If the JP IS John Petrucci maybe… but Judas Priest??
I listen to Victim of Changes, and I'm not thinking any pickup that intense.

Here's the tone you mentioned:

To be honest, a JB would probably get you there.
You can probably look up what KK and Glen had in their guitars.

That’s a great sounding pick up, don’t get me wrong. I’m just going back to the original ask and making sure you get the end result you’re looking for.

Hope it helps

I agree. Everyone seems to assume there is far more gain and an hotter signal in those tunes than there ever was.

They just didn't have the means back then. Now we do and too often it gets overdone.

I would have just gone with a DiMarzio Super Distortion and saved some dough.
The good Priest tones were Gibsons with SD's into a treble booster into a metal face or JCM800 era 4 input Marshall.

If you don't mind just a black or zebra BK pickup you could get a Brute Force Boot Camp 53mm bridge as it is very similar to the Nailbomb and a lot cheaper because it is not custom built per order. These or exactly the same quality as the custom ones all hand wound and built on the same line by the same people. This would get those tones easily.

View attachment 92835
If you get a two conductor pickup you could just graft the hot to the red and ground to the black on the connector you have there. Cut it about 2 inches away from the connector and use heat shrink over the grafts. Anything else would be a lot harder as you would need to get a compatible clip.

If you don't mind just a black or zebra BK pickup you could get a Brute Force Boot Camp 53mm bridge as it is very similar to the Nailbomb and a lot cheaper because it is not custom built per order. These or exactly the same quality as the custom ones all hand wound and built on the same line by the same people. This would get those tones easily.

I picked up a few of those Brute Force Boot Camps for less than $100 a piece. They sound great. PAF on steroids tone.

This guitar is on hold. I may revert the PC1. I have a new Dimarzio SD around here somewhere, hmmm

I'm going to get some pickups for the Les Paul instead. For now.

I gutted the sustainer on the PC-1. NO, I'm not destroying another guitar. I don't really care for the sustainer. So I took all of it out. I plan to wire one bridge pickup to one volume control. It will probably get an Alnico V Nailbomb in the bridge.

I gutted the sustainer on the PC-1. NO, I'm not destroying another guitar. I don't really care for the sustainer. So I took all of it out. I plan to wire one bridge pickup to one volume control. It will probably get an Alnico V Nailbomb in the bridge.
You just can't help it.. it is stronger than you. Extra time and your brain wants you to do it... Am I right? 😀

I have Nailbombs in my Caparison and I have to say I was very impressed with them. I thought for sure I'd be swapping them out for my tried and trusted EMG's but they really did surprise me, they have a good attack and depth to them but retain superb clarity. I have no issues getting a great Thrash/Scandinavian metal tone from them so if your looking for something for that area of music I dont think you'll go wrong with NB's.

I think I still swear by my EMG's for heavy tones but I have been pleasantly surprised by a few passives lately most notably BKP and Lundgrens. I have another guitar coming soon with Guitarmory pickups that I'm also curious to try so we'll see if the surprising trend continues.

I have read that a PC-1 will sound better without the sustainer putting a load on the bridge pickup (or something to that effect). I have noticed it does. The PC-1 I have sustains very well without the sustainer, so It should all be good.

I have read that a PC-1 will sound better without the sustainer putting a load on the bridge pickup (or something to that effect). I have noticed it does. The PC-1 I have sustains very well without the sustainer, so It should all be good.
That is certainly my experience .

Back
Top Bottom