Changing FM3 Presets/Parameters via Ableton Live

ejc

I saw an Ableton Live user set up a Helix to change presets/patches through automation of MIDI clips (e.g., Verse 1 = Clean Chords; Chorus = Crunchy Lead).
I've read the FM3 doesn't support MIDI over USB, but was curious if anyone had experience making this work. I'm pretty sure FX3 can do this, but the FM3 would be enough for me otherwise.

PS—I'm new so I can't post links yet. The video on YouTube is titled “How to Automate a Line 6 Helix with Ableton Live” and starts at 2:08.

Last edited:
Thank you for the quick response, Glenn. In the “Wish” section of the FM3, people have asked for MIDI over USB. Is there other specific MIDI/USB functionality I'd be missing going with the FM3 over FX3? (I'm aware of the other stuff like CPU, I/O, etc.)

I have AXE3 and FM3 and use ableton live on both exactly as you’ve described.

when I play live, they both use midi 5 pin so it doesn’t matter for me in that context. Main reason why is I don’t use axe edit or FM3 edit live.

when I’m at home, the AXE3 having midi over usb means I can have both axe edit and ableton open, both communicating over just the usb cable. It’s nice but not a deal breaker.

but when I’m at home with the FM3, I use a cable like Glenn mentioned to get the midi from ableton to the FM3, and I have to use a usb cable for FM3 edit. To clarify - with the FM3 I still have the editor and ableton open at the same time and communicating; I just need two cables instead of one to make it work

Thank you for the quick response, Glenn. In the “Wish” section of the FM3, people have asked for MIDI over USB. Is there other specific MIDI/USB functionality I'd be missing going with the FM3 over FX3? (I'm aware of the other stuff like CPU, I/O, etc.)
There are minor related issues to consider. If you're tying up the midi port with midi to the computer, you can't easily attach a midi controller to the FM3. And you can't attach Fracpad to the FM3 with a lightning cable because of the lack of midi over usb.

Reactions: ejc
I have AXE3 and FM3 and use ableton live on both exactly as you’ve described.

when I play live, they both use midi 5 pin so it doesn’t matter for me in that context. Main reason why is I don’t use axe edit or FM3 edit live.

when I’m at home, the AXE3 having midi over usb means I can have both axe edit and ableton open, both communicating over just the usb cable. It’s nice but not a deal breaker.

but when I’m at home with the FM3, I use a cable like Glenn mentioned to get the midi from ableton to the FM3, and I have to use a usb cable for FM3 edit. To clarify - with the FM3 I still have the editor and ableton open at the same time and communicating; I just need two cables instead of one to make it work
Thanks for confirming that works (and how it works). Much appreciated!

There are minor related issues to consider. If you're tying up the midi port with midi to the computer, you can't easily attach a midi controller to the FM3. And you can't attach Fracpad to the FM3 with a lightning cable because of the lack of midi over usb.
Great point—I was wondering about that. I have a Nektar Pacer I wanted to connect in place of the FC6/12. I realize now I wouldn't be able to use that controller with the FM3 if I'm already using the FM3's MIDI ports for USB to the computer.

Back
Top Bottom