Change string spacing with a new nut!

Mark Scrivener

Inspired
Hey gang!

Despite playing guitar for 45 years now and working on my own guitars for decades, I always (wrongly) assumed that string spacing was baked in with the nut width. Pick a nut width and the string spacing was set in stone. Don't like the string spacing at the nut? Then you must need a neck designed for a different nut width. Wrong!

Turns out you can fit a wide range of string spacings in a given nut width. Pick up a string spacing ruler (Stewmac and other luthier supply shops sell them) and see what will fit on your guitars. I have an old 1957 Gibson acoustic that sounds great for acoustic blues, but drives me crazy finger picking as my fat left hand fingers are always getting me in trouble. Last night I decided to scratch build a nut for it from a piece of bone. I picked the widest string spacing that would fit on the neck (edge of strings about 2mm from edge of fretboard) and much to my surprise it made a huge difference!

Making a nut is not that hard. What is hard is realizing you really do need to shell out $100+ for a nut file set if you want to get a decent result. Of course you could also just have a good luthier make you a nut, but where is the fun in that!

So if you have a guitar that you otherwise love but the string spacing could be wider/more narrow, a new nut might be your answer.

Reactions: jon
Hey gang!

Despite playing guitar for 45 years now and working on my own guitars for decades, I always (wrongly) assumed that string spacing was baked in with the nut width. Pick a nut width and the string spacing was set in stone. Don't like the string spacing at the nut? Then you must need a neck designed for a different nut width. Wrong!

Turns out you can fit a wide range of string spacings in a given nut width. Pick up a string spacing ruler (Stewmac and other luthier supply shops sell them) and see what will fit on your guitars. I have an old 1957 Gibson acoustic that sounds great for acoustic blues, but drives me crazy finger picking as my fat left hand fingers are always getting me in trouble. Last night I decided to scratch build a nut for it from a piece of bone. I picked the widest string spacing that would fit on the neck (edge of strings about 2mm from edge of fretboard) and much to my surprise it made a huge difference!

Making a nut is not that hard. What is hard is realizing you really do need to shell out $100+ for a nut file set if you want to get a decent result. Of course you could also just have a good luthier make you a nut, but where is the fun in that!

I like that DIY spirit! And yes, it sucks that a nut file set is that expensive.

So if you have a guitar that you otherwise love but the string spacing could be wider/more narrow, a new nut might be your answer.

I personally never experienced any problem with string spacing, but its interesting to know options exist.

I personally never experienced any problem with string spacing, but its interesting to know options exist.

The only time I notice string spacing is when playing chord melodies. Comping, soloing, and just about anything else and I don't notice...but start playing finger style chord melodies and some guitars give me fits with narrow string spacing. Wasn't something I ever noticed before.

Back
Top Bottom