Wish Change SPDIF in to a second SPDIF out for 4 tracks

Tahoebrian5

Fractal Fanatic
is it possible to repurpose the spdif in to another out?

what I’m getting at is for recording I ideally need to record 4 tracks at once.

1) DI
2) Dry
3) FX Left
4) FX Right

today I’m going to try using SPDIF for DI and Dry, and use the analog outs to record fx. I’m hoping I’m not going to get any latency offset.

Anyway two stereo SPDIF outs would be cool.

I suppose you’ve already considered this, but that would be trivial to accomplish with usb.

Yep. USB gives you 8 in x 8 out instead of only 2 channels via SPDIF.

ADAT Optical would be a great addition to the Axe IV. It supports 8 channels as well, but I bet there's a hefty licensing fee with Alesis for manufacturers to use it though.

True but then I cant listen to the rest of the mix through my monitors because I would have to choose the Axe as the sound interface

If you're on a Mac you can create an aggregate device to get input from one device and send output to another. Windows unfortunately doesn't support this without using third party drivers that add latency.

True but then I cant listen to the rest of the mix through my monitors because I would have to choose the Axe as the sound interface
Listening to your mix is no problem when recording with usb. As Mr Fender says, just use an aggregate device. Or simply connect the analog out of your Axe-FX to your audio interface for monitoring the output if you need to attach your monitors to the audio interface instead of your Axe-FX. You'll find instructions for connecting an Axe-FX to a computer here:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

I’m using a PC and also don’t like to mess with interface settings too much. It took me forever to get everything working well, no clicks n pops etc. I now can even record with my external mix bus hardware included and even though adds a bit of latency it helps to hear what it’s actually sounding like after the mix bus compressor EQ and touch of mojo from the silver bullet.

anyway, yes there are other ways, work around etc, but would be a great option to have two SPDIFS out.

Hoping for ADAT outs in the next gen Axe.

Back
Top Bottom