Challenge: On the Backs of Angels tone

torkolort

Inspired

I actually prefer the tone on the previous album, but this sounds pretty awesome as well. Since they released isolated tracks for this song it would be cool to do a cover. But I haven't been able to reproduce this sound (from about 2:00 in the video).

I've mostly used only one cabinet, but maybe a mix of different cab and mic sims would be better. I have all the Redwirez mesa cabs, but there are so many and I don't know where to start. One SM57 and one R121? What mic positions do you recommend? What's the difference between running one stereo cab and two stereo cabs in parallel?

Feel free to post patches as well!

This came up a couple months ago on another thread...here's the version I did:

Patch is available if you follow the link.

Adam, you have a great patch there.

But, what about for the Ultra (I have both the Ultra and II). But I think the OP was curious about getting the sound in an Ultra.

Those sound great guys!

pitch3120, thanks for the tip, Cali + R16 sounds pretty cool!
Adam, thanks for posting, would be really great to look at that patch but I have the standard so I can't open the preset :(

Been tweaking a bit, and this seems like the closest I can get....

I always struggle with the low end and/or mids, I can't get it to sound right. I'm unable to get that fat and chunky, but at the same time tight and agressive rhythm tone. My tone always sounds so dull and lifeless. And it's especially noticable as when playing the 5th to 9th fret on the low E and A string, the notes really start to honk. And it doesn't really help to cut the mids after the amp with a PEQ. Then the tone seems to just generally sound even more lifeless and dull, so I don't like to take out too much mids. The original track sounds like it's got plenty of mids too.

Here's the patch

Attachments

• Angels.syx
    2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
torlolort, that clip was impressive. Nailed the tone, especially at the 1 minute mark, sounded just like the real track. Thumbs up dude.

torlolort, that clip was impressive. Nailed the tone, especially at the 1 minute mark, sounded just like the real track. Thumbs up dude.
Thanks! Personally though, I think it's far from the original. Where the orignal sounds awesome and chunky, I think my tone sounds so nasal like the guitar has a cold...

Back
Top Bottom