AFIII Century's Tone Quest: S.I.R. #36 + Sweet Child O' Mine

Century

I recently picked up a Turbo, and I thought it would be fun to try and nail down some of the guitar sounds that have most influenced me as a player. I'm starting with Slash, the first guitarist I idolized, and Appetite for Destruction, the first album I ever got really invested in. Overplayed as it is, I've never gotten over my love of that Sweet Tone O' His.

AFD was apparently recorded with S.I.R. Stock #36, supposedly a Marshall JMP 1959 Super Lead modded by Frank Levi. I spent some time on amp-building forums reading about different theories on the circuitry, and I decided to attempt to replicate the additional gain stage most people seem to agree Frank added in by chaining together two Plexi 100W High amp blocks with the first's power amp modeling and bright cap switched off. I also switched to 6550s and used an IR with Greenbacks miced up with a 57 (ML Brit GB SM57 D1). I recorded with my 2008 "Inspired by Slash" Les Paul fitted with Seymour Duncan APH-2s pickups. Neck tone was set to 8 throughout.

I tweaked the sound by iteratively tonematching to the intro then messing with the parametric EQs on both amp blocks until I started to get that nasally character and the high end was sounding reasonable. I lowered the bright cap to 1 nF and the Triode Plate Freq 1 parameter on both amps to 15 kHz, which smoothed the distortion out really nicely. Other than that, it was just tweaking basic parameters until things sounded right.

Last but not least, I used ShatteredVitreous's SC95 Wah block. The wah on the album sounds slightly different to my ears, but it was close enough to my liking.

I think it's pretty close - let me know what y'all think! I'll try to update the preset every now and then with FW updates.

Must be the IR as I don't have the ML cab pack and instead substituted for another 4x12GB 57 but this sounded very fizzy when I tried it?

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but thank you for sharing nevertheless. Your recording sounds bang on

Last edited:
Must be the IR as I don't have the ML cab pack and instead substituted for another 4x12GB 57 but this sounded very fizzy when I tried it?

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but thank you for sharing nevertheless. Your recording sounds bang on
Sorry to hear that! What IR did you substitute in? Hmm. Some thoughts:

1. I made this on FW 18.03 and haven't tried it on 19. Maybe enough has changed to make it sound off?
2. It might be worth sticking a volume block in front of everything and wiggling it around to see if our guitars are really different in output.
3. Maybe I should upload part of the dry track or something that you could reamp to help diagnose the issue. I'm away from recording computer now but I'll try to remember to do so.

Sounds awesome man and glad someone used my wah preset.

I’ll be downloading the patch to try out, love me a bit of Slash.

Back
Top Bottom