Caution, Sellers!

1. I believe Cliff is fully aware of how big the demand is going to be. Otherwise he wouldn't have done the countdown. Now, if he was dumb and only ordered a couple hundred units, that's his fault. But Cliff isn't dumb. Why would he drum up this much hype and then only have a handful of units to sell? Makes no sense.

Because Fractal has limited resources at their disposal. They can only be manufactured so fast.

2. The same could have been said about the Gen. 1 axe-fx. But it turned out fine didn't it? You really think Cliff is going to get it wrong the second time?

The same can be said of any device though. Just because the prior model was void of widespread hardware trouble doesn't mean the new one will be. Remember the iPhone 4's antenna last year? Companies are all run by normal people who are as prone as you and I to making mistakes not to mention that consumers are going to figure out how to break anything better than most testers. Any major flaws would eventually be worked out but you are gonna have to RMA it or wait until it's fixed to buy one. Don't rule out the idea.

3. Again, he got it right the first time. This is moot.

By "got it right" do you mean hundreds of threads of people posting bugs, bitching and making feature requests for the software? We're on version 10. Was it right in 9? 8? 3? There's room for improvement anywhere. Again, if there's a glitch or a bug, customers are going to find it. Not only that but give your ears a chance to even decide if you like how the thing sounds. Sure, it probably sounds fantastic but it sounds like you have already made up your mind without listening. OP is just being practical.

I can't imagine all of us on here jumping to buy the new one. When I heard that the presets I've spent 15 months perfecting would not import on the new unit, my desire for the unit went right in the can. Even then, I'm totally happy with ultra I. The longer looper is interesting but I solved that already with a Boomerang III.

OP is just being practical.

Thanks! I thought so.

I can't imagine all of us on here jumping to buy the new one. When I heard that the presets I've spent 15 months perfecting would not import on the new unit, my desire for the unit went right in the can. Even then, I'm totally happy with ultra I. The longer looper is interesting but I solved that already with a Boomerang III.

When I first saw Axe-II, right after I said "HOLY SHIT!" (out loud I might add), I said I WANT IT"!

Now after a few days of rational considering, I'm not so sure. The thing is, I LOVE my current setup. If significantly BETTER tone is possible, I don't know what it sounds like. I'm in tone heaven already and it wasn't easy to get all set up

My real reasons for wanting Axe-II fall into two camps.

1). Shallow desire to own the very latest and best.
2). Nice-to-have convienences (USB, control knobs, etc.)

Thinking through the new features list.. Cliff needed more horsepower to run his new algorithms, but the OLD algos sound freaking great! My presets are not maxing CPU on my Ultra. I won't ever use more than 10 user cabs, and the ability to name them is not a big deal if you only use a few cabs. Connect my MFC with Cat5 cable? Cool, but I'll never need 100 meters, my 7-pin MIDI cable works just fine, and I've yet to see a cat 5 network cable that lays nice and flat across the floor. I could go on, point by point, but you get the idea.

When I factor in the realistic caution points in my OP, the idea of selling off my dream rig right now makes no sense at all. My ultra is a tone masterpiece, reliable, gig proven and most importantly it's right here, ready to play!

All that said, I'm sure I'll get Axe-II at some point. Even if it's for reason #1. If I can scrape enough cash it makes full sense to buy it and still hang onto the Ultra until the Axe-II is fully proven, dialed and tested.

My thoughts exactly. I have spent years tewaking daily to get it where it is. Not looking forward to starting over.

Thanks! I thought so.

When I first saw Axe-II, right after I said "HOLY SHIT!" (out loud I might add), I said I WANT IT"!

Now after a few days of rational considering, I'm not so sure. The thing is, I LOVE my current setup. If significantly BETTER tone is possible, I don't know what it sounds like. I'm in tone heaven already and it wasn't easy to get all set up

My real reasons for wanting Axe-II fall into two camps.

1). Shallow desire to own the very latest and best.
2). Nice-to-have convienences (USB, control knobs, etc.)

Thinking through the new features list.. Cliff needed more horsepower to run his new algorithms, but the OLD algos sound freaking great! My presets are not maxing CPU on my Ultra. I won't ever use more than 10 user cabs, and the ability to name them is not a big deal if you only use a few cabs. Connect my MFC with Cat5 cable? Cool, but I'll never need 100 meters, my 7-pin MIDI cable works just fine, and I've yet to see a cat 5 network cable that lays nice and flat across the floor. I could go on, point by point, but you get the idea.

When I factor in the realistic caution points in my OP, the idea of selling off my dream rig right now makes no sense at all. My ultra is a tone masterpiece, reliable, gig proven and most importantly it's right here, ready to play!

All that said, I'm sure I'll get Axe-II at some point. Even if it's for reason #1. If I can scrape enough cash it makes full sense to buy it and still hang onto the Ultra until the Axe-II is fully proven, dialed and tested.

Excellent Post! Pretty much sums it all up. Yesterday I had to have the Axe II. Today I am thinking about all the other issues involved with it. Setting up all new patches, I am 100% happy with my Axe I now.

I can recall many new items I purchased to replace old items only to ponder later if it was the right choice. I have the iPhone 3. Not 3gs or iPhone 4. I pondered getting both but did not and I am 100% happy with my iPhone 3. It does everything I need.

The Axe 1 does everything I need so far.

Ill consider one next tax season i think.

Sure wish they had this out two months ago before i blew my tax money on other purchases. The first axe was a few years already into its bug fixing so i think it wasnt a bad time for me to join the community, when it was really sounding awesome. If that was the case i probably wouldnt of been able to resist buying a axe II. Im still waiting on my new custom agile 7 string reaper to come in december so it wont be as bad then. Ill still have to pay the other half of that purchase. Im going to focus on finding that amp and speaker combo that works great with the axe I. When i get that figured out ill move on to the axe II or axe ultra II down the road.

My thoughts exactly. I have spent years tewaking daily to get it where it is. Not looking forward to starting over.

Yes, but if new II owners start posting here that it's really easy & fast to get great sounds out of the new one & begin raving about how it really is 100%, as Cliff has stated, THEN will you be willing to take the plunge? :)

Back
Top Bottom