Caution...bit by the Beta...

scorch

Experienced
Well my problems with the FM9 continue. What was an intermittent became a constant. Upon starting and then pushing one button (it doesn't seem to matter which button) the FM9 crashes. I turned of the unit and unplugged for at least 10 seconds and it still did not resolve.

Installed firmware 5 and lost all my scenes and channel settings. Going to have to rebuild. I know the risks of installing beta's but I never had a problem like this happen.

Luckily, I don't gig and all I use the FM9 for is a pedal platform going into an Axe III so I'll be OK. But for you guys that are gigging musicians, you may want to wait for the final firmware.

I've never had this kind of problem going back to the Ultra days but you take your chances with a beta. So this one is on me. I'll be more careful next time.

Yes, I'm using the FM9 as a pedal platform for the Axe III. Some of my presets on the Axe III where getting CPU intensive and I was having to make choices on which blocks to use.

Enter the FM9. Now I can off load drives, filters, EQ's, tremolo, rotary, compressors, etc. from the Axe III. Way more options available. It also serves as a backup to the Axe III should it ever go down (which none since the Ultra have done).

I can also use the 4 wire hookup to an actual amp, use the FM9 as a pedal platform, come out of the effects loop of the amp to the Axe III, insert effects into chain OR even switch an amp model in place of the amp preamp just using the power section of the amp. Works fantastic! Exponentially increases the sounds I can get and increases the control over more parameters. More channels, more scenes, more blocks! More is MO Betta!

All I was trying to do when I started this post was to give a heads up on a problem I found. It is a Beta after all. I thought Fractal might like to know.
I'm a huge Fractal Audio fanboi and I am completely invested in the success of the company. I think I've bought every product that Fractal has offered except the FM3. So there you have it.

And I promise, I will be more careful with betas!

And I think some people in here just want to help you in the future, if you make a backup before you install the beta then when you roll back to the previous firmware you can restore the backup of all your presets and settings. If you didn't do it this time, it's a good step before the next time.

Likely the reason your presets disappeared is because a preset logs what firmware version it was created in. Older firmware presets are always forward compatible, but newer version presets might have data that the older firmware can't know about and doesn't know how to read. So any presets made on a firmware version newer then the current one you're running don't show up. So any of the presets you opened and saved in the beta will become invisble on the older firmware. Restoring a backup of the previous firmware presets will roll them back, or waiting until the next beta release fixes your issue then reinstalling it will make those hidden presets visible again.

All I was trying to do when I started this post was to give a heads up on a problem I found. It is a Beta after all. I thought Fractal might like to know.
I'm a huge Fractal Audio fanboi and I am completely invested in the success of the company. I think I've bought every product that Fractal has offered except the FM3. So there you have it.

Which is what I did with the "Bug" tag on the other thread I started which hopefully brought the ampless bug to the engineering folk's attention (Cliff responded to that saying they were now aware of it) - usual steps sharing problematic preset and steps to re-produce the problem etc etc.

Also, I did mention this bug (and workaround) in the main Beta thread to which you responded to.

My advice is to tag the thread with Bug and it gets in front of the right people - Beta Testers and Engineering - if its not a Bug it'll get downgraded as such and you'll get advice, just putting a possible Bug behind a click baity type heading might just get ignored..it probably won't as the guys seem to be all over this forum, but to be safe and to get your findings in the right place etc etc...

As others have stated, add any amp block to your preset. Don't connect it (stick it in the corner) and it will resolve the issue until the bug is fixed.

Thanks for all the advice but I'm OK. Yeah, I know about backups, done many in the dozen or so years I've been using Fractal products.

I just got complacent, overconfident, careless, and maybe a little bit lazy. So, lesson learned. As I said earlier...its all on me.

I'm sure Fractal will shake out the bugs and it will be all good again.

Back
Top Bottom