Categorizing effects

Narzugon

Power User
I'm working on a labeling system/layout/functionality for my MFC and my brain hurts right about now. I can't say that I've seen anyone do this yet but I'm considering using a generic category system for labeling. For example: Time 1, Time 2 which would cover time based effects. Mod 1 and Mod 2 etc. I can easily remember what's what per preset. I'm looking for input on what categories I should include and what effects would be in each. I initially wanted to keep it to 5 categories but that may not be possible. So far I have the following:

Time: Delays, Reverbs
Modulation: Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Ring Mod,
Pitch: Harmonizer, Octave, Whammy
Drive: Drive?

What about Tremolo and Rotary?
What about EQ, Comps and Gates?

Wah and Vol I didn't include since they will always reside on my exp pedals. I'm thinking of a cat called "Special" for things like Formant, Vocoder, Resonater etc.

Any thoughts?

Tremolo and Rotary could be kept in your Modulation bank. You might have a problem, though, if you wanted to switch, say, Reverb and Rotary, from the same preset button. (I'm assuming you're tyring to have 10 patch banks and 5 Category buttons.)
I don't think you can get EQ, Comps and Gates all into a category that would allow you to keep everything in 5 categories, unless you just made one of them a grab-bag, like you said you could call "Special".

From my end, I've found it more useful to have 5 patches, and 10 categories, instead, which can "fairly" easily cover the most common categories. I even have trouble with fitting into only 10 categories, sometimes.....

Another option would be to set up with Scenes, although I haven't gone that route, myself, so I'm not much use, on that end.

Im not sure if I understand you correctly. The idea is to have a generic labeling system that is easily adaptable to many scenarios. I may have 8 scene IA's (clean 1-2, dirty 1-2, lead 1-2, special 1-2) and 10 general IA's for changes on the fly (I like to improvise). The 10 general IA's will be made up of mostly categorized effects labels. So instead of being locked into specific labels (delay 1, delay 2, phase, flanger, boost etc) I have a little bit more flexibilty. An example would be having 2 IA's labeled "Modulation 1" and "Modulation 2". I can change the effect on those IA's to any Mod based effect per preset and my MFC label still make sense.

Some things will be standards. Such as Reverb, Vol and Wah. Some form of Rev will be in most presets so there's no need to even assign it to an IA (for me). If there is a special need I can use a scene for it or assign a controller per preset.

Trem and Rotary in mod was my first guess but wasn't sure. So I think I've nailed it down to 6 categories. Time-Mod-Pitch-Drive-Shape-Special. Shape being EQ's, Comps, and Gates. It's making sense to me on paper so far. I'll begin programming this weekend. We'll see how it goes. :nightmare:

i have all my IA's set up as fx on/off or x/y. i use the up/down arrows to change patches. so it's not necessarily in categories but it gives me plenty (sort of) switches to work with.

Back
Top Bottom