Carvin trx2153a or Mackie HD1531 ?

I cant figure out which of the these two options is going to give me the most bang for my buck, leaning more towards the Carvin, i also think the Carvin will have more headroom in the low end

http://mackie.com/products/hd-series

http://carvinaudio.com/collections/...a-15-inch-3-way-2500w-active-main-loudspeaker

I currently own the mackies and my band uses them whenever we play live and for practice, I use an axe fx ii for bass but we also run our samples through the mackies as well( sometimes the venues we play have shitty sound provided)

I find that getting a good tone without the low end farting out is hard for gigging levels with the mackies.

Do you think the Carvin's would be a better option?

Last edited:
Need more info....

Are these for the band FOH? (if so, how do plan on getting them off the ground so people can hear them? Would they stack on Subs?

Or are these just a bass rig?

I have played through both of those speakers and personally for FOH I like the Carvins! The TRX line is really good for the money and will hold up.

As BBN pointed out you will have to stack them on something (SUBs) to get the height unless you have portable staging you use for your gigs. Their primary purpose is PA and should be used as such. I would not consider these for foldback monitoring if that's what your looking for maybe backline monitoring but you would need a lot of stage distance for it to work right..

The Mackies are a nice box as well, they had problems in the early run units with thermeling but I believe they have since fixed that problem. The one plus on the Mackies are they integrate well with stacking with their sub unit which is very nice!

This is just additional info directed at the OP and I will post this from time to time for people that are looking at prosumer speakers. Don't get caught up in the Marketing hype! Both makers are touting huge wattage numbers here! Always look at the RMS or continuous ratings and not so much the peak numbers when buying any powered speaker.

Peak numbers are impressive... 2500 watts, 1800 watts Bla Bla Bla. If you look closely at Carvins specs they are claiming (20ms bursts) at those wattages, same goes for Mackie. That's great for handling the transient peaks that happen in all music! Most people will not have a clue as to what that even means. It's great that they advertise those numbers but it is very misleading and sounds as if you are getting a 2.5KWs of power well your not you are getting 500 watts for the highs, 500 watts for the mids and 1500 watts for the lows for a whopping 20ms.

Do a little research and arm yourself with some basic knowledge and it will help you make your decisions not just solely on what sounds good but what is technically good as well !

Good advice, @Sixstring .

Something else to watch out for: 1000-watt speakers that use a 500-watt amp for the lows and an identical 500-watt amp for the highs. With real program material, you'll never get 500 watts through the tweeter (you'd fry it if you did, anyway), so it's not really a 1000-watt speaker, but it gets to call itself that.

Back
Top Bottom