Carver PM-300

tubetonez

Experienced
download

I just got one of these from a friend who runs a sound company...it's been on the shelf for years, he'd suggested I might want to try it out. But he told me it was like 50w/channel, I didn't think it would cut it and didn't know any better. Well, at a recent rehearsal with our band ( he plays bass too) I carried just my Ultra, and he pulled out this amp. I'd left a 2x12 custom FRFR cab there, which I'd been running with a Crown XTi1000. I hooked it up, played a little and said "damn, this can't be 50w" - it was close to the volume of the Crown amp.

After downloading the manual, it's 150w/side @4ohm "Magnetic Field" amp. I've been wanting a 1U amp, got this at a great price and I'm pretty impressed. The Crown will go a little louder, the Carver seems warmer in comparison. It's pretty light too, and almost exactly the same depth as the Ultra.

I used a single space 70 WPC Carver (can't remember the model) for twenty years as my Hi-Fi poweramp very nice amp indeed. When it did die it was just to expensive to have repaired so I got rid of it.

I'm also using a Carver amp. A friend of mine gave me an old (and heavy) GA-250, which I like a lot better than my Carvin DCM150 and DCM200L. It's a 2U format, and 10 lbs heavier than the DCM150, but the sound is worth it.

Back
Top Bottom