Capture impulse responses with AX8

RB_Guitar

Inspired
Hi,
I just realised that the synth block in the AX8 offers the same sine sweep and white/pink noise as the one in the AxeFX2.

I would like to capture a cab impulse response by running the sine sweep or noise through my 2x12 cab and my SM5/. At the same time I would record the original sweep/noise to my DAW, along with the signal from the microphone.

I could do this by just using my DAWs in+out channels, but I have to change cables and levels every time. So it would be more convenient just to connect my AX8 to the SS amp and cab to pre listen to the signal. If I like the mic position I could capture immediately the IR.

Do you think that could work somehow?
Do you know a free vst plugin or software to help me deconvolve the two wave files to an impulse response?

Smittefar, thank you!
I already tried that way since I use reaper as my DAW but I'm looking for a more convenient way without plugging cables.. Therefore I try to utilize the synth block, not sure about what software to use...

Cool - it turns out, reaverb is not included in the free vst package, but if you are already using reaper, that is not a problem :)

If you can record both the output from the synth block and the microphone recording at the same time, reaverb can still make the necessary deconvolution. This article pretty much covers the whole process https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan12/articles/reaper-notes-0112.htm. Reaverb can deconvolve any test tone, so the synth block will be fine. Of course, the quality of the resulting IR will depend on the quality/appropriateness of the test tone. But I guess the one in the Synth block is already tried and true.

Back
Top Bottom