Can't turn off External Controller's influence [NOT A BUG]

joegold

Fractal Fanatic
[Axe-II (MKI) FW 17.04]

I can't figure out why I'm seeing the following described behavior.
I may be doing something wrong, in which case I hope someone can set me straight.
But I think it's probably a bug.

I have a Compressor Block in all of my Presets.
It's Bypass Mode Source (Bypass Mode is set to Thru) is assigned to an External Controller (Ext Ctrl #3).
PC RST is set to "off" so that I can keep the Compressor Block on or off when I switch Presets regardless of the Compressor Block's saved Bypass state within those Presets.

I've always had Ext Ctrl #3 assigned to CC#66 which I transmitted to the Axe via various MIDI foot-controllers I've used.
This always worked seamlessly.
The I/O menu's MIDI page item "Ext Ctrl 3 Init Val" setting is always at 0% which seems to give me the behavior I want when I'm not using a foot-controller and the Comp Block remains bypassed and cannot be engaged even by pressing the FX BYP switch on the front of the Axe, which was fine by me.
If I want to hear the Comp Block, w/o a foot-controller connected, I can always set the Init Val to 100%.

This always gave me predictable behavior in the past.

So, I was trying something slightly different the last few days where I assigned Ext Ctrl #3 to Pedal and have been switching the Comp Block on and off with a Boss FS-5L latching foot switch connected to the Axe's Pedal jack (via a standard TS guitar cable).
I make sure that the I/O Pedal menu's Pedal Type is set to Latching.
Everything works as expected while the FS-5L is connected.

But now, if I disconnect the FS-5L the Comp Block remains on and cannot be turned off.
Changing the Ext Ctrl 3 Init Val to 100% or 0% has no effect.
Even if I change Ext Ctrl #3 to none in the I/O menu, the Comp Block won't turn off until I power-down/power-up the Axe and then it all works as expected and my Comp Block is Bypassed.
[I can turn it on/off via the FX BYP switch if I want.]
If I then set Ext Ctrl #3 to Pedal again, with no cable connected to the Pedal jack, the Comp Block comes on again and I can't turn it off even if i set Ext Ctrl #3 to none again.
I can't turn the Comp Block off until I set Ext Ctrl #3 to none before powering-off and then power-on the Axe again.

So, if I'm making an incorrect setting somewhere (presumably having something to do with the Pedal jack/system) the act of powering-down/powering-up the Axe shouldn't make any difference.
But it does.
So I figure that this must be a bug.

Shouldn't this all work the same way whether I'm using the Pedal or a MIDI CC?
Y/N?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's how it works with the onboard pedal ports of all Axe-FX models. The easiest way to deal with it now is to set the external to "none" then adjust the init. value. No need to reboot. To save approx 0.1 seconds you can actually just turn it left to refresh the value while it's at 0%, instead of right to 100% then left to 0%.

That's how it works with the onboard pedal ports of all Axe-FX models. The easiest way to deal with it now is to set the external to "none" then adjust the init. value. No need to reboot. To save approx 0.1 seconds you can actually just turn it left to refresh the value while it's at 0%, instead of right to 100% then left to 0%.

Thanks!
But now I feel stupid, because I could have sworn that I'd already tried that.
Guess this is another Homer Simpson moment.
D'Oh!!

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom