Can't Recieve Tuner Sysex

bossredman

Inspired
Been searching but can't seem to find anyone with the same issue as I'm experiencing.
If this has been solved/answered before would be grateful for a shove in the right direction pls.

So... been working on my own Midi Foot Controller for Axefx 2 - v19.0 firmware.
Using a Teensy 3.1 with Midi IN & OUT (via 2 x 5 din leads) & Arduino code (Using mid LIbrary).
(Midi out is using a PC900V opto coupler).

Initially just using the Midi OUT (to Midi_IN on AXE) - I successfully managed to get working teh following:
Preset UP/DOWN
Bank UP/DOWN
BUMP toggle (changes teh Preset increment value between 1, 10 & 30 - for fast scrolling).
..all using CC & PC commands.
Also got an LCD display working to display Preset Number & Preset Name (via 384 x IF preset # = "xxx" the dispaly "YYYYY " statements - cringe!!!).

Then I stumbled upon SysEx msgs.
So I added a midi-OUT to my midi controller (connecting to the midi-IN on the AXE).

After a lot of fumbling I eventually manged to "read" the Preset Name from teh AXE & display on the LCD.
... by sending the GET PRESET NAME sysex & capturing bytes 6 to 26 of the corresponding returned sysex msg.

To my thinking - this success validated my midi-OUT circuit & my abilty to send & recieve Sysex.
Agree?

So I moved on to trying to display Tuner info on my LCD.
Figured all I needed to do was capture bytes 6, 7 & 8 of teh Tuner Sysex.
But for the life of me, just cant seem to capture anything other than the initial values when the code starts running.

I've read & read & believe I've configured teh AXE as needed.
ie:
- “send realtime sysex” on AxeFX is set to ALL (also tried on Tuner”).
- Tuner ON on AXE and on tuner page (ie page all the way to the left).
..anything else needed.?

Last night I installed Midi-OX & managed to see & monitor the Sysesx msg for the Preset Name.
But nothing at all for the 10 byte Tuner Sysex msg (or teh Tempo for that matter).

The Tuner msg is constantly broadcast - right? as long as the tuner is activated.
ie no request msg needs to be sent.

Can any one offer anything as to how to get this working pls.
Once I can capture the msg as it changes - I'll deal with displaying on my LCD - but just need to get over this initial hurdle first.

I'm sure its something really basic.

Help!!!

what midi library version are you using?

How are you reading the sysex values?

I've been able to get this to work with 3.2 with simply reading off the sysex value (though, it should be well filtered)... have not had a chance to use with 4.2

Also, this should go under "Other Midi Controllers" section. You're axe seems to be outputting everything correctly.

Yes the tuner sysex is sent constantly as soon as you're in the tuner on the AxeFx. But maybe it's only sent on ports that queried the who_am_i sysex, i don't know it's pure supposition, but as the rac12 successfully receives tuner sysex and you receive the preset_name sysex i can only see this difference in the way we're communicating

Also, you should turn off midi thru, as it will bounce back all incoming midi from Axe back to the axe, clogging both your teensy and axe...

and you don't need tuner request from Teensy... just need to make sure your code listens to correct sysex.

Using 3.2 I believe.

I'll post the code tomorrow of how I'm reading the sys ex.

Can I ask why you think my axe is outputting all as expected pls?
As with midi ox I can only see the preset name sys ex and not tuner or temp steeds.

Yes the tuner sysex is sent constantly as soon as you're in the tuner on the AxeFx. But maybe it's only sent on ports that queried the who_am_i sysex, i don't know it's pure supposition, but as the rac12 successfully receives tuner sysex and you receive the preset_name sysex i can only see this difference in the way we're communicating

What's the who_am_I sys ex?
Not sure I've heard of that one.

Also, you should turn off midi thru, as it will bounce back all incoming midi from Axe back to the axe, clogging both your teensy and axe...

and you don't need tuner request from Teensy... just need to make sure your code listens to correct sysex.

Sorry mention mention in original post.
Midi thru is OFF.

Sorry, I mis-read your post, you should see tuner sysex in MIDI-OX.

heres my settings on the AXE:
Midi Channel - OMNI
Midi Thru - Off
Ignore Redundant PC - OFF
Send Real-time Sysex - ALL

Make sure MIDI-Ox isnt filtering any Sysex as well.

When the Midi-OX sees sysex from tuner then you can debug the teensy program, otherwise theres no point.

Sorry, I mis-read your post, you should see tuner sysex in MIDI-OX.

heres my settings on the AXE:
Midi Channel - OMNI
Midi Thru - Off
Ignore Redundant PC - OFF
Send Real-time Sysex - ALL

Make sure MIDI-Ox isnt filtering any Sysex as well.

When the Midi-OX sees sysex from tuner then you can debug the teensy program, otherwise theres no point.

Thanks Evz,
All settings match expect midi port.
I'm set to 1 so will try omi tomorrow.

Already checked that sys ex mags were NOT being filtered in midi ox.
Although I'm new to midi ox and will check again.

I've debugging these sort of issues by connecting the axefx to a PC and writing desktop app code first. Then porting that to the hardware in question. The basic parsing and handling of the messages is fairly platform independent.

Are you using a library to read the MIDI messages off the wire?

I've debugging these sort of issues by connecting the axefx to a PC and writing desktop app code first. Then porting that to the hardware in question. The basic parsing and handling of the messages is fairly platform independent.

Are you using a library to read the MIDI messages off the wire?

Yes - using teh Arduino Midi Library v3.2 I believe

Back
Top Bottom