Can't nail AC/DC tone - help is appreciate

I think it is a fools errand to try and recreate a sound precisely. Ballpark yes, but why try so hard to nail every nuance? I slap a Supro amp on and it gets me the vibe. I know it maybe is not the real life choice, but it works for me. Good enough for RnR, IMO.
I wouldn't say that some of us enjoy trying to recreate a sound and get as close as possible! If you are referring for live use I agree probably not going to happen but like you posted to get in the ballpark will do.

I think it is a fools errand to try and recreate a sound precisely. Ballpark yes, but why try so hard to nail every nuance? I slap a Supro amp on and it gets me the vibe. I know it maybe is not the real life choice, but it works for me. Good enough for RnR, IMO.
Maybe because it will still be different anyway, so why not start to get as close as possible? It's not for everyone, as some will realize immediately it's impossible for them. In early Ultra days, steadystate did several clips that seemed to exactly copy the original, even the sloppy timing of Jimmy Page. https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/zeppelin-heartbreaker-solo.35354/
I would find that very cool to see on a live gig. If you think you're unable, or your own style will result in a better flow or solo, do you — if you can greatly copy the original of a classic solo, I'm all for it — It can be magical. Either are preferred to screwing up classic solos :D

Last edited:
Maybe because it will still be different anyway, so why not start to get as close as possible? It's not for everyone, as some will realize immediately it's impossible for them. In early Ultra days, steadystate did several clips that seemed to exactly copy the original, even the sloppy timing of Jimmy Page. https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/zeppelin-heartbreaker-solo.35354/
I would find that very cool to see on a live gig. If you think you're unable or your own style will result in a better flow or solo, do you — if you can greatly copy the original of a classic solo, I'm all for it — It can be magical. Either are preferred to screwing up classic solos :D
Wow I remember that one! Talk about digging up the past!

I have no idea if this will help you with Angus tones specifically, but I know that buying York Audio IRs (it was one of the marshal cabs, I forget which. I can check if you want) helped me a lot with the general "mid-gain marshal" thing.

I have no idea if this will help you with Angus tones specifically, but I know that buying York Audio IRs (it was one of the marshal cabs, I forget which. I can check if you want) helped me a lot with the general "mid-gain marshal" thing.
Probably the G12M20 one. I use that one a lot for a number of things, including mid-gain marshalls....

I shoot more for their live tone personally. I get it close, at vac little gain, roll volume pot add necessary for different songs and fill tilt for the more modern leads. I don't think I really shot for an exact match, but yet guitarists and fans hand out complements on the tones. Like others have stated, a LOT if it is in volume and in those heavy right hands... I play with a heavy right hand a LOT with the rock tunes... I'm the bozo that pops wound D strings more than any other string (sometimes even wound A strings), and my saddles on every guitar would not have a problem only on the big strings. ROFLMAO!!!

Yeah, I tune my guitar whilst plucking strings pretty hard since lots of my playing involves slight sharp detunes due to that heavy right hand. I tune somewhere around just ultra sightly flat.

I'm capable of lightening up the right hand, but it's definitely not during anything resembling AC/DC!
So I sorta use my own tone presets/scenes and with my playing style and jacking up the band volume I seem to get a tone/sound that is pleasing from the feedback I get from musicians and audience members alike.

Probably doesn't hurt that I probably spent the first 25 years of my life using AC/DC style music for 90% of my jamming around the house for fun!

🎸😎🎸

Exactly, those one. And they sound really good.

Hopefully when in August they'll start shipping again FM9, I'll get my unit ( have the invitation) so I can load my backups IRs included and make some videos :)
Plus I've found this on my IG account:

:)

Could be preset ID 8450 in Axechange: "Have a Drink on Me" for FM3

Just buy the cheap and highly professionel IRs
York Audio MRSH 412 MV30 (Prio1)
York Audio MRSH M20
York Audio MRSH 412 M25
and if you want the more expensive
Solodallas 1969 G12M25 as add on.
That helps to take the blanket from the "cabinet" (KRK Rokit RP5 G4). The crunchy treble AC/DC sound I searched for, together with the 1987x Treble and the poti setting from AC/DC Rig Rundown. I used the EL34 Svet, 12AX7 Svet, 70% bias. And a bit of tweak on Speaker for AX, Greenbacks or TV.
Start with the Mixes delived by York Audio. I could not believe that IRs are 75% of sound and there are better ones than Fractal IRs. For these it's true. Why, I don't know but it really helps, also more than Dyna-Cabs. And believe me, I don't get money for that post and I love my Axe FX III Turbo and the work of Cliff.

Last edited:
Sorry, but today my ears say, you have to withdraw your statement from yesterday. Try Dyna-Cabs with the following settings (1987x Presence 0):
signal-2023-09-07-164254.jpeg

Alternative
signal-2023-09-07-175607.jpeg

Pretty much the same, but currently I think the IRs are a bit better. But this can change - Don't trust your ears ;)

Last edited:
I understand you 1000000%, in 10 days I have an AC/DC tribute too and I'm not happy either with the preset I came up with... I'm just not getting the same vibe of their tone that is basicly a LOUD amp without that much gain instead of normal Marshal Plexi gain like for example Jimmy Page, that one I can be more close to replicating and be happy with to play live without doing much to get that tone quick.

So if someone can guide us and help us out that would be just in time for my show.

BTW, I've never been able to get that tone with my other Fractal gear thru the year and it's been a frustrating tone chase with my AX8, FM and now the FM9 :(
Forgive me if this sounds obvious, but are you making sure that you're actually playing well...loud? Modelers are great but there's really no way to simulate "loud" tones without actually being loud.

When I make presets, I make sure I run them through a PA speaker LOUD and it's always a different experience.

Is this true? For example, when I hear AC/DC Live at Donington on CD it doesn't need to be loud and it sounds like AC/DC Live ;o) I can't believe that AC/DC is such loud on studio today when they record. The recordings sound more sweet than in early days but still as AC/DC. I don't believe, that you really need Angus fingers and loud Marshalls. But I'm not sure. P.S. Besides I know at Donington Angus used Mesa Boogie Amps, but I did not try it until now, because I don't know Mesa amps in details. He uses 1959 SLP plexis today and used plexis before '90s . But the live sound is not so hard like in early days anymore. Is it just necessary to make an IRs on full amp volume to get the reaction of the speaker and the mic on high volume?
I know a guy who made it for the Live sound but over many years and all analog with AC/DC (studio) equipment. He says Marshall 100W 1959 SLP, G12 Vintage speaker, Audio Technica 4047, Audio Technica 4050 and Shure SM57 mics are necessary and he records loud in a special box. But also necessary for studio sound? Refer to https://www.youtube.com/@ACDCAMFM
This guy made it for Donington sound (real amp but with an IR), details refer to comments.
Possibly someone with Mesa knowledge can make it here or translate his recommandations of Mesa settings in Fractal Mesa amp settings:

"Used: - 1996 Orville SG '61 Reissue - Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp - Mesa Boogie 295 Stereo Poweramp - SoloDallas IR of a Marshall 4x12 w/ G12M-25 speakers - 2 SM57 Microphones as the mic selection for the IRs https://www.acdcfans.net/forum/commen... The settings on the Preamp and Poweramp are matched up to the exact settings as seen in this article that breaks down the entire rigs for both Angus and Malcolm. #Orville #Mesa #ACDC
Totally realized I never finished the description for this video! The SoloDallas IRs of the G12M-25 speakers. And I blended 2 different IRs of the SM57 together and then did some final EQ to tweak it to sound pretty much exact
I tried using Amplitube 5 for a while to try and get the sound using the Mark III (which is why I referenced it before) and the settings do not translate 1:1 especially if you do not have the right cabinet. The IR selection is the most crucial point and if it's off then your amp settings will not matter. The cabinet and IR are the biggest factor for tone. That being said: use these settings for the Mark III Volume - 3 (no bright pull) Treble - 3 (experiment with the pull shift, but start off) Bass - 3 (experiment with the pull shift, but start off) Mid - 3 (No pull) Master - 7 (pull deep) --- the Mesa Boogie Studio Pre has a fat switch for the lead channel which is engaged Lead Drive - 7 (pull lead) Lead Master - 4 (no bright pull) For the graphic EQ pull the 60hz slider down halfway between the neutral middle position and the bottom gray line 240 and 750 pull down to just above the bottom gray line 2200 same as the 60hz 6600 just under the middle neutral line Flip the sim to the back and make sure Presence is 0 and the amp is set to Simul Class mode (6L6+EL34) And then you'll obviously have to tweak and experiment from there.
"

angus mesa boogie rack.jpg

Last edited:
These tunings sound close to the studio recordings:
424 for Beating Around the Bush (424 is 1 semitone below 449.2)
429 for Highway to Hell, Touch Too Much, and TNT (429 and 454.5 are out of Fractal's calibration range so use 430 - 4 ct offsets)
432 for Let There Be Rock

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom