Can't nail AC/DC tone - help is appreciate

The closest I've gotten was by overgaining a Plexi and rolling back the volume and tone knobs on my guitar. Really worked well.
Been playing around with the 1970 Plexi and York's G12M20 4x12, with the volumes up a bit and a volpan in front to go from clean to mean. It works well. So does just the guitar volume knob. Was testing out the ProJet rewire through that and getting some very Malcolm-esque sounds. Bridge Filter'Tron and a Plexi. Right there, in a nutshell, are the tools needed for his sound. The remainder is in attacking the strings the right way, and lots of "cowboy chords"....

After implementing the amount of gain and tone ….I would consider a bit of “gain enhancer” and maybe the variac as well …transformer match to taste as well
also besides above… mess around with the master volume make a post phase…. Also of course the cab block is a huge part…
Not sure how many cabs you are using but that can also be a rabbit hole… one cab with a57 and one with a 121 maybe…

I have found that I have romanticized their sound. I think of it as a huge rock guitar sound. But when I really listen to it, it is surprisingly clean with barely a hint of break up.

They don’t try to use such a tone live. I don’t think it would translate as well live.

I wouldn’t fret over getting a studio tone, that they themselves don’t pursue for their live performances.

I’ve come to this conclusion with Alex Lifeson sounds from their hayday. Not even Alex attempted to get the sounds either, 30 years later.

I have found that I have romanticized their sound. I think of it as a huge rock guitar sound. But when I really listen to it, it is surprisingly clean with barely a hint of break up.

They don’t try to use such a tone live. I don’t think it would translate as well live.

I wouldn’t fret over getting a studio tone, that they themselves don’t pursue for their live performances.

I’ve come to this conclusion with Alex Lifeson sounds from their hayday. Not even Alex attempted to get the sounds either, 30 years later.
There is a point....
However even live, when Angus hit the strings, you know its Angus and that's more or less the direction I'm into.

Interesting, had a rehearsal few days ago and I played with a Matrix power amp into an ENGL 4x12, Cab aim Off.
The sound wasn't spot on but was "there", I used my go-to stock preset "Hells Glockenspiels" (or something) with minor tweaking.
However upcoming weekend gig is all direct to FOH so will see.....

11 months later from here and many AC/DC tribute gigs on Hell's Glockenspiel factory preset. and....I'm back into tone chasing....
So…..not happy, I'm missing "power" in this preset, its too harsh, doesn’t sound right at all to my ears.

Does anyone have something to offer in terms of good old Angus sound?
It amazes me how simple his setup is and how hard it's for me to replicate the sound.

Attachments

• Back In Black (1).zip
    11 KB · Views: 39
Remember a LOT of the AC/DC sound is sheer volume. No amount of futzing with companders is going to substitute for the acoustic interaction of multiple stacks reinforcing the guitar's vibrations.

And Malcolm (not Angus) with his unique Gretsch Super Jet and that Filtertron in the Bridge with
the bypassed Volume and Tone controls. I feel a lot of us get hung up on Angus and overlook what
Malcolm uniquely had going on with that Gretsch.

I think it is a fools errand to try and recreate a sound precisely. Ballpark yes, but why try so hard to nail every nuance? I slap a Supro amp on and it gets me the vibe. I know it maybe is not the real life choice, but it works for me. Good enough for RnR, IMO.

Exactly, those one. And they sound really good.

Hopefully when in August they'll start shipping again FM9, I'll get my unit ( have the invitation) so I can load my backups IRs included and make some videos :)
Plus I've found this on my IG account:

:)

In the end you show the mic "Vintage Neumann® U47FET Condenser" but not the IR. Which two IR's and which bundle did you choose?

Back
Top Bottom