Can you save controllers and modifiers?

Bodde

Fractal Fanatic
The title says it: is there a way to save controller or modifier settings as a sort of block? That way they can be used on other presets as well without having to dial in the settings again.

That would be cool to have 'Edit Modifier Window' presets. Or at least be able to copy/paste whole windows, or whole Amp block tabs.

So it is not possible to save them?
Is it the same on the Axe fx III?

Last edited:
I think the controller settings (LFO, Envelope, Sequencer, etc.) can be exported to the block library, but I can't remember for sure. Modifiers should save with the block they are assigned in if you save that block to the block library. I don't think there's a way to save the modifier settings independent of the block or preset. Good old screenshots are a poor man's work around.

You can save the entire effect block in your Editor library, and that will include any modifiers in that block... but not the same thing.

Yes I know. But if you save an effect block it doesn’t save the controller settings along, only the modifier settings if I remember correctly?

Not that I know. But if so, how do I do that?
Select the controllers view in AxeEdit, then save the "block". It saves all the controllers. I'm not sure how useful that is. Saving a modifier would probably be more useful.

Select the controllers view in AxeEdit, then save the "block". It saves all the controllers. I'm not sure how useful that is. Saving a modifier would probably be more useful.
Thanks. I must be stupid because I have done that before. I even made some controller blocks. Totally forgot that! :D
I agree it would be more useful if you could also save the modifiers along with the controllers.

I just tested again saving an effect block with modifiers and controllers attached. But it only saves the modifiers in the effect block and not the controllers. Would be very useful if it also saved the controllers along with the effect block. That was the reason for my original question.

Yeah you have to save both the effect block and the controllers block to the library and then import them both into the new preset.

Yes that is a bit impractical. But it is what it is. Is it the same in the Axe fx III and FMs?

It's a difficult problem, and one I've wrestled with myself since it's similar to a desire to save a mod matrix in a synth. Controllers are shared among blocks, so loading controllers might help restore the state of one block that has modifiers, but that action might break another block which has modifiers. It might be feasible in a system that has an open ended number of controllers, so loading a block that depends on an LFO simply creates a new LFO when restored. But the Axe-FX doesn't work that way: it has a fixed number of each kind of controller, so I don't see that working very well on an Axe-FX without a significant design change.

It would be great if we could copy/paste individual controller tabs in the Controller menu.

It's a difficult problem, and one I've wrestled with myself since it's similar to a desire to save a mod matrix in a synth. Controllers are shared among blocks, so loading controllers might help restore the state of one block that has modifiers, but that action might break another block which has modifiers.
I see what you mean. You are saying that the fact that you can only have one instance of LFO1 or the sequencer setting (or any other controller) per preset so that's why it makes no sense to save the controller settings?

As a side question. Can someone explain the exact difference between LFO1A and LFO1B? Never really understood how you can use that and what the A and B is for.

They are two copies of the same LFO wave but with adjustable phase between them. I think the B LFO copy is 180 degrees out of phase with the A copy by default, but it's adjustable.

They are two copies of the same LFO wave but with adjustable phase between them. I think the B LFO copy is 180 degrees out of phase with the A copy by default, but it's adjustable.

I know the theory but can you give a practical example of how to use that exactly?

I know the theory but can you give a practical example of how to use that exactly?
An easy way to have two parameters oscillate in opposite directions at the same speed. With more control than just swapping the Min and Max of one of the two parameters.

Pitch block, Detune model. LFO1 A to voice 1 (-6 to +6). LFO 1 B to voice 2 (-6 to +6). LOF1 speed kind of slow so that the tempo is not detected. Set the phase so that the two voices never cross min, max, or '0' at the same time. Could even use the 'Random' type with some 'damping' to smooth out the quick jumps.

One thing I can think of is a stereo tremolo effect with phase offset between the two channels' pulses. IF you split your signal between two parallel hard panned volume blocks, you could assign LFO1A to one side and LFO1B to the other. The two channels would pulse at the same rate, but the offset between them could be adjusted using the LFO1B phase. If A and B are in phase, you'd have regular tremolo. If they are 180° out of phase, you'd have an auto panner effect going left and right. Adjusting the phase between those two would give you a weird mix somewhere in between.

If you can assign LFO2A to the phase parameter of LFO1B, that would make the stereo pulse offset sweep between tremolo and panner at the rate of LFO2A.

Last edited:
I see what you mean. You are saying that the fact that you can only have one instance of LFO1 or the sequencer setting (or any other controller) per preset so that's why it makes no sense to save the controller settings?
I wouldn't say it makes no sense. The intent is pretty clear: what one would want to do is load a block including modifiers and controllers. That way if any parameters have movement from a controller, that movement will also be restored when you load that block from the library.

However, it isn't practical to just load the controllers for one block since those controllers are shared with other blocks, and restoring the controllers for one block could break the modifiers on another block.

If the Axe-FX design was changed to have an open-ended number of controllers, that would help, but it's not a simple problem to solve.

I wouldn't say it makes no sense. The intent is pretty clear: what one would want to do is load a block including modifiers and controllers. That way if any parameters have movement from a controller, that movement will also be restored when you load that block from the library.

Yes that is exactly what I had in mind and want! Maybe for the Axe fx IV?

Back
Top Bottom