Can you run your actual amp (via reactive load) + an amp sim at the same time & record?

Georgy

Inspired
Ok, hear me out.. this is a two-part question..

I’d like to know if this is possible, and if so, how, because I’d like to be able to record (via Reaper)

For a few years now, I’ve been using my Wizard amp + my Suhr Reactive Load (and Axe FX3 of course) to record via Reaper. Works great.

What I’m not sure about is, can I actually record my Wizard’s tone as well as an amp sim at the same time? For example, I might want to use my Wizard tone and a Mesa amp sim tone. Is this possible, and if so, how? What is involved?

Thanks

Absolutely. The amp and reactive load can be placed in a loop and run in parallel with an amp block, or else given it's own independent chain. Just make sure that the signal going into the Fractal is the line level one from the reactive load and not the speaker output of the amp, or you're going to have a very bad day.

Absolutely. The amp and reactive load can be placed in a loop and run in parallel with an amp block, or else given it's own independent chain. Just make sure that the signal going into the Fractal is the line level one from the reactive load and not the speaker output of the amp, or you're going to have a very bad day.
Awesome - thanks man! Ummm.. do you have a patch setup like this!?

Well, I think so, yea. Put your amp with the reactive load doing it's job and taking a line level out of the reactive load (this is important- do NOT put the output of your amp straight in to the axe fx.) and put it in the loop of the axe fx. Then set up a preset with parallel paths, with one path set up with the amp block, and the other with the loop Out and In. Then both sides of the parallel paths (which would be panned hard left and right) should go into a cab block with your stereo IRs of choice.

This would work, but you might run into a problem with some comb filtering because of the slight delay from the D->A/A->D converters needed in the effects loop. If you do, I guess one easy workaround would be to run both sides into the loop, and just connect the non amp side of the stereo loop with a patch cable, so that both sides would go through the converters.

I do this all the time it works great. Amp into driftwood load box into input on the back on the axe fx III. I use a lehle split p after the guitar going straight into the axe fx and the other side going into pedal board before the amp. ( this also lets me use the tuner and capture a DI while also use an amp block or two)

Back
Top Bottom