Can You Reamp Without DI Box(without using the USB Dry track feature)

LKnight4949

Inspired
Hey guys,
Here's my situation. Pretty soon I'm going to start recording a band. These guys are 100% into their vintage gear which I'm going to mic up of course. However, I want to run an A/B slitter into the AXE FX and record a dry signal(shunts only) through the analog outputs into my interface. My interface has preamps which have very little to no color.

Will I be able to use this dry track to do USB reamping later on with minimal loss of quality? Or will I need a reamp box to run it back through?

I guess the main question is, is the USB Output 3 Dry track the same or close to the same as a straight dry track (shunts only) through the analog output?

Thanks in advance.

Yep, the AxeFX will re-amp a bone dry track sent to it via USB from channel 3 (& 4 if needed) of your DAW with the AxeFX assigned as the audio interface

Yep, the AxeFX will re-amp a bone dry track sent to it via USB from channel 3 (& 4 if needed) of your DAW with the AxeFX assigned as the audio interface

Yeah I've done this several times.

My question is if it will reamp a bone dry track which was recorded using the analog outputs. Or of a reamp box will be needed for this.

My question is if it will reamp a bone dry track which was recorded using the analog outputs. Or of a reamp box will be needed for this.

I think you can get this to work.

But if it were me, I would use an analog re-amp box to capture the DI track and to re-amp it; into the AxeFx II or into a amp rig.

Since you are going to the trouble to mic up the amps etc., the analog re-amp box just gives you the option of a modeler or the amp rigs at re-amp time. And you won't have to do much to get it up and going vs. figuring out your proposed workflow.

Richard

In theory you can reamp any signal via USB including vocals, drums, keys, whatever. In practice if you are on a mac it might not be possible. USB reamping doesn't work for me and I'm considering going back to analogy reamping with a reamp box. I hope the mac issues get resolved so I don't have to do this.

In theory you can reamp any signal via USB including vocals, drums, keys, whatever. In practice if you are on a mac it might not be possible. USB reamping doesn't work for me and I'm considering going back to analogy reamping with a reamp box. I hope the mac issues get resolved so I don't have to do this.
Whats your issue? I have done is alot of times

I'm on a Mac too. I reamp all the time. If I didn't have to record at higher rates (96) I'd use USB all the time. I never had a problem with that. It's pretty slick.

I don't know man! I've tried and tried. I'm jealous of you guys. You can note my gear in the signature line. No matter what I do I get drop-outs and artifacts. It's reassuring to hear others are getting good results but also increases my frustration. Based on your testimony I'll try again. I pray I don't have another unproductive frustrating night. Wish me luck.

This is slightly off topic and I think I know the answer, but is there any difference in quality between reamping via SPDIF vs USB, or any advantage of using one vs. the other in terms of sound quality? I'm using a reasonably high end SPDIF cable (Monster) and I'm guessing there's no difference since they're both sending digital information, but wanted to throw it out for input.

Pretty similar situation that I was having. I just changed the core system in TOP baar.

Quite a while back I asked for a feature on the wish list to facilitate just this. It would be nice to have a mode in the global (I/O) menu setting "Dry to out 3/4", overriding "copy 1/2 to 3/4" and any fx loop settings. It would be a nice workflow touch and I don't imagine it would be too hard to code :)

Quite a while back I asked for a feature on the wish list to facilitate just this. It would be nice to have a mode in the global (I/O) menu setting "Dry to out 3/4", overriding "copy 1/2 to 3/4" and any fx loop settings. It would be a nice workflow touch and I don't imagine it would be too hard to code :)

Yes! That would be amazing.

Back
Top Bottom