Can you REALLY replicate a tube preamp effectively with the AxeFX Ultra?

DBraz

Hi Guys,

I currently own an AXE FX Ultra and have used it exclusively for the last year as an effects unit with a MESA Rectifier Recording Preamp and a Fryette 2:50:2 into stereo cabs. My wish is to save some weight and downsize my rack and I am playing with the idea of selling my MESA Rectifier Recording Preamp to save some size/weight and use the preamp simulation sections of the AXE FX Ultra for the first time.

I am nervous as hell that I'll lose some of my beautiful tone, and admit to being a valve head having never been a convert of solid state (yet).

For those who have had experience of both, at gigging volumes, does the AXE FX Ultra honestly have the ability to deliver the same quality tones as a dedicated multi valve preamp? Do you get the same dynamics?

I am sure there will be a lot of YES OF COURSE answers out there, and I have seen a demo on youtube that made the two comparable, but I guess I am asking those in the know what you sacrifice by using the AXE FX Ultra instead of a dedicated valve preamp?

Regards

David

Well the preamps of the Axe-Fx (both gen1 and gen2) have always been as good as modeling gets so I wouldn't be too worried about selling the Rectifier Recording Preamp. If you use the preamps into a tube power amp and real cab... no one can tell the difference blindfold.

The thing that (in my experience) makes the difference in good guitar tone modeling is 1) the cabinet and 2) dynamics fine tweaking. So I strongly advice you to look into custom cabinets f.ex. the OwnHammer free beta seems to be one of the best impulse packs ever created. Try that one and I promise you'll like it. :) The dynamics fine tweaking is not always necessary but experiment with the sag and depth at least and different master volume settings and compensate with the volume. This will have an affect in the "tube amp feel" we keep talking about.

Well the preamps of the Axe-Fx (both gen1 and gen2) have always been as good as modeling gets so I wouldn't be too worried about selling the Rectifier Recording Preamp. If you use the preamps into a tube power amp and real cab... no one can tell the difference blindfold.

That's good to hear. Looks like I may sell the preamp then!

Hi Guys,

I currently own an AXE FX Ultra
[...]
MESA Rectifier Recording Preamp and a Fryette 2:50:2 into stereo cabs
[...]
I am nervous as hell that I'll lose some of my beautiful tone, and admit to being a valve head having never been a convert of solid state (yet).
Why don't you just try and judge by yourself?
Create a patch with only an AMP block and disable power amp modelling.

last I heard John Petrucci was using the Axe FX for effects only and Mark Vs for tone... In the end, it's all on your ears.

Petrucci can't stop endorsing Mesa. He had no problem recording the guest solo for the Periphery album through an Axe-Fx. :)

I use tube preamps and a Two Notes Torpedo with my Ultra, and IMHO "no", the models do not perfectly replicate a tube amp, though the models do sound great in their own right and in a dense mix they can work fine (again, IMO). Keep in mind that it's very subjective and you might prefer the models over the tubes, and even though they certainly don't sound identical a lot depends on style. If you're a high-gain person then maybe the Axe is fine as I don't play that, but if you're a clean through pushed mid-gain person then "no".

In my rig I'll sometimes use the Ultra's Amp Block models and tubes together, so it's very easy to A/B the two through identical chains. I've done a bit of testing in this regard though I haven't yet tested the Axe II or KPA (we have tested the Axe Ultra, 11R, Revalver, Amp Farm TDM, HD500, POD, Pandora, G1, VG8...). Finally, "if" you're a tube snob who doesn't even like playing a SS amp then I highly doubt you'd be happy with the Axe Ultra's amp models alone.

Note that the Axe FX cannot separate it's power amp sim from it's preamp sim, so if using a tube preamp you'll want a modeled tube power amp sim to go with it (I've found that for me the tube preamp is the deciding factor, and I can get great tube tones from a tube preamp and modeled tube power amp sim), and for that I use the Two Notes Torpedo CAB which does tube power amp sims, world class speaker/cab/mic sims with adjustable mic positioning in real-time, and EQ in a pedal sized form factor (and that reduces DSP load on the Ultra allowing for more FX).

Again, it's all subjective and lots of people love the Ultra's amp models, so ultimately you just have to test everything yourself.

Hi Guys,

I currently own an AXE FX Ultra and have used it exclusively for the last year as an effects unit with a MESA Rectifier Recording Preamp and a Fryette 2:50:2 into stereo cabs. My wish is to save some weight and downsize my rack and I am playing with the idea of selling my MESA Rectifier Recording Preamp to save some size/weight and use the preamp simulation sections of the AXE FX Ultra for the first time.

For those who have had experience of both, at gigging volumes, does the AXE FX Ultra honestly have the ability to deliver the same quality tones as a dedicated multi valve preamp? Do you get the same dynamics?

I am sure there will be a lot of YES OF COURSE answers out there, and I have seen a demo on youtube that made the two comparable, but I guess I am asking those in the know what you sacrifice by using the AXE FX Ultra instead of a dedicated valve preamp?

Regards

David

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom