Can you hear a difference?

Can you hear a difference?

• Total voters
Clark:

If there is a point of principle or business consideration that you are working on, I apologize in advance for missing that point. However, if you are about making your guitar sound and feel as good as possible, I'll quickly share my comments:

I totally hear the difference in your clips. Absolutely. I also believe that I know what that difference "felt like" to you as well, because I went through the same thing trying to make my Axe sound and feel EXACTLY like my favourite tube rig. I never succeeded. However, what I did is after a while I ignored my tube rig and focused on getting my Axe to produce exactly the sound and feel I had in my head (striving for the "perfect" tone with the gear at hand, not trying to copy anything). When I recently fired up the tube rig I discovered that I liked the sounds I had dialed in my Axe better. Still not the same, just better.

Mack

I haven't even listened to the track. Don't care. This is getting REALLY boring.

What's the point? This is better than that... This reminds me of Gibson vs Fender, Marshall vs Mesa... They all sound and feel different... And everybody know it. Amp+cab feels different than FRFR. Blah blah......

But all the polls and stuff. It's like politics, religion or other strong personal opinions/beliefs to some people. (I know we should not enter religion, but you get my point) Eveyone has to see the same result... With 10 different polls (or something) Play whatever suits you. I'll play Axe, amp or kazoo. Does it matter to you?

Play some music and do something productive and share that instead. Recto, Kazoo or Axe. Music is music.

Please!!!!

Have a nice day, evening, night :)

Edit: i know you like this product Clark... It's fine to be critical, but right now it's on ... Well ... Kind of repeat. You know. Like a drunk guy on the party telling you that he is right-stuff. Over and over. Hehe :D

Last edited:
I haven't even listened to the track. Don't care. This is getting REALLY boring.

What's the point? This is better than that... This reminds me of Gibson vs Fender, Marshall vs Mesa... They all sound and feel different... And everybody know it. Amp+cab feels different than FRFR. Blah blah......

But all the polls and stuff. It's like politics, religion or other strong personal opinions/beliefs to some people. (I know we should not enter religion, but you get my point) Eveyone has to see the same result... With 10 different polls (or something) Play whatever suits you. I'll play Axe, amp or kazoo. Does it matter to you?

Play some music and do something productive and share that instead. Recto, Kazoo or Axe. Music is music.

Please!!!!

Edit: i know you like this product Clark... It's fine to be critical, but right now it's on ... Well ... Kind of repeat. You know. Like a drunk guy on the party telling you that he is right-stuff. Over and over. Hehe :D

Haha. You Norwegian guys are just like us Finns and I totally get what you mean with this. :) Anyways if it's boring to you then you don't have to read or post in this thread. I'm not telling anyone to use a certain gear here. If someone does get a solution to whatever they're looking for then that's great but this poll doesn't require you to choose what gear you will be using.

And sure I'm repeating myself but I think there's some baggage left for me to handle from the first thread that went to sh*t straight away. :)

Please!!!!

Here is a man who gets it. I salute you sir.

The first half just sounds like it has less gain. Almost like the volume knob on your guitar was turned down slightly. Other than that, I notice no difference. A quick twist of the gain knob would make them identical.

Then don't participate in the thread... it's not like there aren't 1000s of other threads that could entertain you. These things are valuable to me because in this case, I don't own the amp and never plan to but hearing a comparison, methods to achieve it, and notes on how the two felt can help me professionally. It has zero to do with a purchase decision, recommendation, etc. but it could help me determine whether I'd need to rent a piece of gear for a session instead of covering it with the AxeFX. Personally I don't care if these threads keep coming... jeez, create a forum for it called A/B test to get it off of the main discussion if necessary but please don't prevent them from appearing.

Anyway, yes, I can tell the difference. If I were choosing which one to record with by this clip alone, it would be the real amp. However, that does not mean that this is as good of a match as possible.

Haha. You Norwegian guys are just like us Finns and I totally get what you mean with this. :) Anyways if it's boring to you then you don't have to read or post in this thread. I'm not telling anyone to use a certain gear here. If someone does get a solution to whatever they're looking for then that's great but this poll doesn't require you to choose what gear you will be using.

And sure I'm repeating myself but I think there's some baggage left for me to handle from the first thread that went to sh*t straight away. :)

Hehe.. You know how it is Clark. I have to read it.. It like Gossip. Don't wanna hear it, but listen it anyway. ;)

All good.. No storm here. Just a little wind passing ;)

I don't wanna be an asshole but:

I thought cliff asked a question.
Possible answers was supposed to be yes or no.
This is no personal isssues like if anybody is
a good or bad person. I can't understand why some
people take this personally.

Why not just listen, answer, maybe see how
some other people experience it. But why be upset ?
It's the Axe , not a person we are checking out.

Please!!!!

Last edited:
Clark:

If there is a point of principle or business consideration that you are working on, I apologize in advance for missing that point. However, if you are about making your guitar sound and feel as good as possible, I'll quickly share my comments:

I totally hear the difference in your clips. Absolutely. I also believe that I know what that difference "felt like" to you as well, because I went through the same thing trying to make my Axe sound and feel EXACTLY like my favourite tube rig. I never succeeded. However, what I did is after a while I ignored my tube rig and focused on getting my Axe to produce exactly the sound and feel I had in my head (striving for the "perfect" tone with the gear at hand, not trying to copy anything). When I recently fired up the tube rig I discovered that I liked the sounds I had dialed in my Axe better. Still not the same, just better.

Mack

I agree. I'm not sure the forum is the place for this. It's not a "how do I get rid of this.." type thread and more a "look, it doesn't work". Wouldn't it be better to submit this to Fractal and let them decide what to do?

I suppose it's an inherent danger of a forum like this, where guitar tone is what it is all about. We tend to forget about the final product, the music. When I manage to compose something decent I feel spoiled for choice with the guitar tones, everything sounds great. On those days where I cannot churn out anything worth listening to I get caught up in trying to find faults in the guitar tone.

When I recently fired up the tube rig I discovered that I liked the sounds I had dialed in my Axe better. Still not the same, just better.

Mack

This hits the nail on the head I think. The differences are tiny and not quantifiable as better or worse. To me both the clips sound terrible, I bought an afx specifically so my guitar would not sound like that. But that's just me and I am aware how entirely subjective my view is.

I can hear a slight difference but wonder if a live tone match is used as mentioned by Cliff (he's said several times that the matches from recordings are not as accurate)

Though I agree such discussions seem to have limited value given the closeness of modelled tone to the real, its hard to criticize too much since it is well known (and appreciated) that Fractal works tirelessly to model specific amp designs meticulously and exactly, which invites discussion that meticulously and exactly attempts to point out discrepancies. One goes with the other - and it's a good thing.

I can hear a difference, much more so in this "can you hear a difference" poll vs. Cliff's poll. Obviously, as you said, it's not completely apples to apples. I can hear a weird hollowness in the 2nd clip. I've never liked tone-matched patches and my guess would be the "tone match" block in the AXE is creating some of that weirdness, therefore I'm guessing the 2nd clip is the AXE.
^^^
This

Back
Top Bottom