Can you guess the pickups/guitar?

Sounds like an Ibanez Jem with Breed pups to me.

Ding!

18.JPG

Surprised the hell out of me, and I've owned this guitar for a while now, heh. Who would have thought an RG could sound so bluesy, eh? That body is basswood, and the single coil isn't hooked up - I don't use it (my picking hand likes to land right there), so that clip is just H-H.

On a separate note, can you confirm that Jem has the pickups mounted onto the transparent pickguard as it looks like a rear routed body ? Or are they mounted some other way ?

It's not really a JEM, it's something I put together myself. It's an aftermarket basswood body with a MIJ neck from an old RG5xx, swirled by Chris over at Mai-Guitar.

The pickups are indeed mounted on the PG, and let me tell you - it's a giant pain in the ass on a clear one, because it's nigh impossible not to get fingerprints on the underside of it. I know this, because I had to do it twice - if you notice in that pic, the pickup selector cutout isn't wide enough like a regular JEM, so when I first put it together I couldn't get the switch into the bridge/neck position without the tip popping off.

This is what it looks like now with the proper PG on it. It wasn't any less of a pain the second time, haha.

swirl-ppg.JPG

Chris, thanks. The reason I asked was for something I was thinking of doing. At least I know it's possible, I had seen some others but the pickups seemed wood mounted and the pick-guard was just slotted around them but this approach seems a neat idea. I guess the next thing is getting the reach for the pots from the control cavity through the wood and pick-guard.

Back
Top Bottom