Can you get away without a foot control?

DLW

Inspired
I have been asking questions about foot controllers before buying the AXE3 and getting a lot of help.

Just wondered though if you can get away without out using any type of foot controller?

It may be a stupid question but I really do no know so I am asking.

With my tube amps I just dial in a tone and jam for a while. I play at home. Do not gig. Do not record except rythm into a looper to play lead over. I do not change sounds and add effects non stop while I am playing. Eventually down the road all that stuff but not till I understand the unit in depth and become a much better player. I am debating getting one unit with the best pedal and great monitors and extras vs getting two units with just good monitors and thats it. If I got two units it would be on different levels of my house where it would increase my time playing guitar and my son maybe using one also now with the idea too that I am planning to build a small home studio this spring/summer and would like to have two units for my son and I and for having people over jam.

1-Can you use and program the AXE3 manually with your fingers right on the unit enough to live without a foot controller?
2- If so is that method just too time consuming that you just have to have a foot controller for my type of use or do people use these units at home without a foot controller?

Thank you!

Last edited:
1-Can you use and program the AXE3 manually with your fingers right on the unit enough live without a foot controller?
Depends what “enough” means.

You can create fully on the axe itself. You can change presets and scenes on the axe itself relatively quickly.

Reactions: DLW
I use mine in my studio without the foot controller all the time. I only bring out the pedal board if I need to record something with volume swell or other pedal controlled effects, or if I want to use the looper. Other than that the pedal board stays in the case unless I'm taking my Axe-FX somewhere else to play.

I just switch presets from my computer using Axe-Edit, but you could do the same using the front panel if you don't want to have a computer involved.

You’re fine without one for now. If you can hook up to computer and use the Axe Edit, it will be easier to navigate the screen and settings. FC is most useful as a gigging device. if it’s not in the budget and you are a home player, no problem, just us Axe Edit, you will love it!

NO
Get an FC6 right away
The sooner you order, the sooner you stop asking questions like - well this

YOU NEED IT, hope that helps bud
/end thread
I have two FCs....
20191115_223713.jpg

I assume it's a cost thing driving the question? You can plug 4 momentary switches directly into the axefx for some cheap control if you wanted too.
I used a boss fs5u while waiting for my FC to arrive. Only one button, but was enough for the few times I needed control on there floor.

With my tube amps I just dial in a tone and jam for a while. I play at home. Do not gig.

I play at home through the Axe and a Matrix into a Marshall cab and I do not use a foot controller. Sometimes I'll plug the laptop in and sit it on top of the Axe and use Axe Edit to mess around, other times I just jam and cycle through presets I like.

If you plan on playing in any sort of live situation then I think you'd probably need one (although I'm sure there are ways around it using a DAW and midi to control your preset changes). If you're into looping then it might help as it's a lot easier to just create loops etc with your feet while your playing.

I play most of my gigs on one preset, not changing anything would not be a disaster.

Also, you can make a footswitch for $5: a regular switch, bolted in to a tuna can. The Axe will understand a switch like that and you can program it to do anything. For simplicity's sake, I made a switch like that to switch between 2 sounds when I loaned my axe to a friend. It also looks cool. :)

If you are in europe, i can sell you a BJ Devices TB12 midi board for 100€.

I have been asking questions about foot controllers before buying the AXE3 and getting a lot of help.

Just wondered though if you can get away without out using any type of foot controller?

It may be a stupid question but I really do no know so I am asking.

With my tube amps I just dial in a tone and jam for a while. I play at home. Do not gig. Do not record except rythm into a looper to play lead over. I do not change sounds and add effects non stop while I am playing. Eventually down the road all that stuff but not till I understand the unit in depth and become a much better player. I am debating getting one unit with the best pedal and great monitors and extras vs getting two units with just good monitors and thats it. If I got two units it would be on different levels of my house where it would increase my time playing guitar and my son maybe using one also now with the idea too that I am planning to build a small home studio this spring/summer and would like to have two units for my son and I and for having people over jam.

1-Can you use and program the AXE3 manually with your fingers right on the unit enough to live without a foot controller?
2- If so is that method just too time consuming that you just have to have a foot controller for my type of use or do people use these units at home without a foot controller?

Thank you!

If you're used to using an amp with no foot controller, you'll be able to use an Axe3 the same way. I do 99% of my editing on the unit itself (I've done it that way since the Axe2) and if you're used to just jamming on a base tone, you'll only need to reach over to the unit to switch scenes/presets, which shouldn't be a big deal.

Having said that, I own an FC12 and find it useful. If you don't want to pay the price for an FC unit, you still might find a cheap midi footpedal useful for hands-free preset/scene switching while jamming.

Last edited:
You definitely can with the mindset of playing it like an amp - if you have a touch screen tablet fracpad is nice to switch basic stuff with. This can also be done with Axe-edit.

Eventually you may want the the fc 6 or 12 though, until you contemplate the possibilities with a foot controller you would be skipping an extremely powerful part of the Axe-Fx. There are some very cheap midi control options for basic stuff.

Having said all that I have an FC12 plugged in and almost always use the front panel and axe-edit about 50/50. Hardly touch the fc but that will definitely change when I start gigging again.

Last edited:
You definitely can with the mindset of playing it like an amp - if you have a touch screen tablet fracpad is nice to switch basic stuff with. This can also be done with Axe-edit.

Eventually you may want the the fc 6 or 12 though, until you contemplate the possibilities with a foot controller you would be skipping an extremely powerful part of the Axe-Fx. There are some very cheap midi control options for basic stuff.

Yes, but youll need the lightning to usb b cable for that! FracPad III rules @AlGrenadine ......but ne sound is right

If you're used to using an amp with no foot controller, you'll be able to use an Axe3 the same way. I do 99% of my editing on the unit itself (I've done it that way since the Axe2) and if you're used to just jamming on a base tone, you'll only need to reach over to the unit to switch scenes/presets, which shouldn't be a bit deal.

Having said that, I own an FC12 and find it useful. If you don't want to pay the price for an FC unit, you still might find a cheap midi footpedal useful for hands-free preset/scene switching while jamming.

While I appreciate your supportive, positive and optimistic view on the “leaner” approach to controlling the axe iii, I respectfully must say ABSOLUTELY not.

Get an FC6/12....since you are on the fence, I say at LEAST check out the classifieds, and get a used FC6 for $100 off the new price....but atquiin lovely ideal eventually becomes reality and you start looking around with your hands for something thats missing, when your body really knows its your feet that need to help

Listen to all of us (me), and get an FC6 lol
And dont stop there

Get a Mission Engineering EP-1(spring loaded) for a wah pedal, or a regular EP1....while youre at it....and then the REAL questions will start.... TRUST us *

*the royal we

Yes, but youll need the lightning to usb b cable for that! FracPad III rules @AlGrenadine ......but ne sound is right

While I appreciate your supportive, positive and optimistic view on the “leaner” approach to controlling the axe iii, I respectfully must say ABSOLUTELY not.

Get an FC6/12....since you are on the fence, I say at LEAST check out the classifieds, and get a used FC6 for $100 off the new price....but atquiin lovely ideal eventually becomes reality and you start looking around with your hands for something thats missing, when your body really knows its your feet that need to help

Listen to all of us (me), and get an FC6 lol
And dont stop there

Get a Mission Engineering EP-1(spring loaded) for a wah pedal, or a regular EP1....while youre at it....and then the REAL questions will start.... TRUST us *

*the royal we

Absolutely agree, but I assume funds may be an issue or he wouldn't have asked. If not, definitely get the fc and behold the power :)

Absolutely agree, but I assume funds may be an issue or he wouldn't have asked. If not, definitely get the fc and behold the power :)
And I appreciate that point as well....

IF OP can swing it, TRY to aim to get an FC6 and you will see what we’re talking about....if you can’t yet, then use Axe Edit 3 on the PC/Mac or whatever and then save up or sell some pedals!!! To fund it

Right on Neo!

There are a few jacks on the back of the Axe where controllers and switches can be plugged in. With @NDESMAREST's three-sounds-on-one-pedal trick, you could set up a controller that has 3 completely different sounds on one pedal. Most of my songs seem to work with just 3 sounds, and a few have just 2, so in theory, if my FC was unavailable, I could get through a gig that way.

That said, I have, and use, two FCs currently. I am in the process of testing whether a split arrangement with my pedals in the center is the path forward. Preliminary tests look good, so I may be swapping my 12 for a second 6 sometime before the holidays, either by a 'trade + cash' or by selling it and buying a 6.

I think it depends on what environment your AXE FX III is in. I don't need a controller when I'm sitting in front of mine, playing, practicing, tweaking, etc. But I would be dead without one at rehearsal or a venue. Using a computer with AXE Edit is fine, but would not work well in a live environment because of the lag it causes, when switching scenes and presets.

Back
Top Bottom