Can you add SPDIF IN into signal chain like INPUT 2?

Tiger1016

Inspired
I am trying to get around a peculiar hardware limitation of the Axe FX (I have the XL).

The issue is there apparently is no way to independently control the volume level of backing tracks when using the Axe as a USB sound card with a computer. I need to be able to adjust the volume of various backing tracks in order to maintain the right balance relative to my patch volumes (note, some of the programs I use on my Mac don’t have a volume control and the tracks can have noticeably different volume levels). Unfortunately, we don’t have the ability in the Axe to balance, mix, or control the USB audio in any way. I think this is a straightforward feature that should be included, but I’ll move on to my actual question.

The internal work around that I have found would be to route an analogue audio signal into INPUT 2 and run this in a parallel chain with no effects in all of my patches. This would then provide the ability to use the mixer block to do the balancing that I am looking for. The downside to this solution is I would need to buy a separate DAC, and high quality ones are not cheap plus I would like to minimize the cables and hassle. The external option is to get a mixer/audio interface with a good DAC built in, but this has the same issues as before.

My question is is there perhaps a way to use the SPDIF IN as an alternative option to the INPUT 2 approach above? Said another way, is there a way to integrate the SPDIF input into the signal chain the same way you would the INPUT 2? This would allow me to actually use the already good DAC in the Axe and all I would need is a relatively cheap Toslink/optical digital to SPDIF converter to make this work. Again, it would be even better if you could do this with the USB audio instead, but I was told that was not a possible option when I asked this question previously.

I am trying to get around a peculiar hardware limitation of the Axe FX (I have the XL).

The issue is there apparently is no way to independently control the volume level of backing tracks when using the Axe as a USB sound card with a computer. I need to be able to adjust the volume of various backing tracks in order to maintain the right balance relative to my patch volumes (note, some of the programs I use on my Mac don’t have a volume control and the tracks can have noticeably different volume levels). Unfortunately, we don’t have the ability in the Axe to balance, mix, or control the USB audio in any way. I think this is a straightforward feature that should be included

This? (FW 18 release notes):
Added USB Return Level parameter to I/O->Audio menu. This parameter sets the level of the USB input sent to the main outputs.

After my initial post I started to read into the FW 18 release notes and saw the USB Return Level parameter that was added in the I/O Audio menu. I got really excited at first, but I then realized that it will probably not be the actual solution I was looking for.

Is there a way to assign this to a modifier and control it with an expression pedal (actually a Mission XPB control knob would be better)? I assume because it is in the system menu the answer would be no. It will be a pain to have to dig through menus to get to this, and I really need to be able to easily tweak this on the fly. Am I looking at this wrong or missing something?

It will be a pain to have to dig through menus to get to this, and I really need to be able to easily tweak this on the fly.

If you can reach the front panel easily enough, this wouldn't require a lot of menu navigation. Once you've navigated to the parameter, one press of the I/O button will access it again until next power cycle.

What software and what sort of computer are you using for your backing tracks? I would have thought there would be a software solution for this at the computer end.

Back
Top Bottom