Can this be done with CC messages? (Wah/Whammy)

So this is what I am trying to figure out:

In front of all my signal chains for all my patches, I would like to have a whammy effect and a wah set up to the same external controller, assigned to an expression pedal.

I would like to set it up so that a CC message (one of the IA buttons on my Ground Control Pro) will let me switch between them...for example, if the switch is on, it is a wah, if the switch is off, it is a whammy. Basically, so that it would "cycle" through what was on...step on it once to turn on the wah, step again for whammy, and step again for bypass of both.

I would also like to use this with the auto-engage feature, as I absolutely love that feature. So convenient! Any wizards out there know how to do this?

trouble311 said:
I would like to have a whammy effect and a wah set up to the same external controller, assigned to an expression pedal.

I would like to set it up so that a CC message (one of the IA buttons on my Ground Control Pro) will let me switch between them.
You have to copy your whammy and wha in each patch.
You have to program the GCP to send 2 CC to bypass/unbypass when you switch the button, other 2 (inverte the state) when switch again.
I haven't try it, and now I haven't a GCP, but I think it's doable! ;)

trouble311 said:
I would also like to use this with the auto-engage feature, as I absolutely love that feature. So convenient!
I can't help you.

Smilzo said:
You have to program the GCP to send 2 CC to bypass/unbypass when you switch the button, other 2 (inverte the state) when switch again.
I haven't try it, and now I haven't a GCP, but I think it's doable! ;)

Ehh...I don't think so.

I have a GCP, and to my knowledge, it can't send two commands from one IA switch, and it can't do a "step-through" program a la the Liquid-Foot products. Without both of these features, there's no way to get the three possible states that trouble311 wants.

I think it might be possible to manage to select either WAH or WHAMMY to be on using the Axe's External Controllers and configuring one backward. Assuming you're using External 1 for the WAH's frequency, and External 2 for the Whammy's pitch, then you could use External 3 for the WAH bypass, and External 4 for the Whammy Bypass. Configure External 4 to have a maximum value of 0 and a minimum value of 127, backwards from default. Then, in the IO menu, set both External 3 and External 4 to the same CC#. Now you should be able to toggle between two blocks. When External 3 gets an ON message from the GCP, it will go to maximum value, 127, telling the WAH to turn on. When External 4 gets the same ON message, it too should go to maximum value, which will be 0, telling the Whammy to turn off. I believe this would work.

However, autoengage won't be useful. Autoengage is an all or nothing proposition. You can't configure it to be conditional to any state of anything, it doesn't send any commands down the chain that you could respond to, and the query implies that trouble311 is trying to do this with a single expression pedal. If he was using two expression pedals, there wouldn't be a problem: one's for wah, one's for whammy, and both autoengage. Problem solved. But that's not what was asked.

So the answer, trouble, is that with one switch you can probably toggle either of two blocks on, but you can't bypass both.

How about this arrangement? A mixer block feeding a wha and whammy block in parallel. Like so:

parallel-wah-whammy.png

The wha and whammy are both set to auto-engage on using your expression pedal.

And then you use an external, latching controller to tell the mixer block where to route your signal. Controller off (value = 0) sets Gain 1 to 1 and Gain 2 to 0. Controller on (value = 127) sets Gain 1 to 0 and Gain 2 to 1.

Edit: I don't say it enough but I freaking love this box for all the crazy things it can do like that stuff above!

iaresee said:
How about this arrangement? A mixer block feeding a wha and whammy block in parallel. Like so:

Nice catch, iaresee. That would do it, I think.

Mixer should be after whammy/wah. Its gain controls are for the incoming signals, not levels to each block in the next column.

Holy snot. Look at THAT voodoo! I would NEVER have thought of that! I will let you guys know if it works, I am going to try it tonight!

Bakerman said:
Mixer should be after whammy/wah. Its gain controls are for the incoming signals, not levels to each block in the next column.
Cool. Wondered about that. I've never actually used the Mixer block in real life. Thanks.

mortega76 said:
But doesn't this give you double the output db signal?
How's that now? As long as you have Gain 1 and Gain 2 inverted, so when one is value 1 the other is value 0 you'll be okay.

This worked *PERFECTLY*.

Set it up with the wah and whammy in parallel, right at the front of the chain, with the mixer after the two. Set Gain 1 to External 4, normal slope, and set Gain 2 to External 4, inverted slope. Now, whenever I push the CC button my GC Pro, it switches between the Wah and the Whammy, and my Auto-Engage still works. This is unbelievable! Thanks a million!

Back
Top Bottom