Can the II XL emulate these drive pedals?

Alabama man

Inspired
Curious if anyone here has been able to copy the following drive pedals with the Axe II XL:

Barber Gain Changer and Compact Direct Drive
Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD

In Austin and my Axe is in NY - trying to have it sent out in the next few weeks and was curious how the G3'd drive blocks are working for you guys.

You guys give 5 pages to some illiterate troll asking if the Axe can replicate the greatness of boss pedals, but no one has an opinion or any experience with what I'm asking?

Wow- Man, you just posted yesterday and you now post like you've been done wrong? -If someone had an answer I am sure they would have responded-I am not familiar with those pedals. Boss pedals are easy to answer, the most common pedal in the world-the ones you mention, not so much.

I personally think the axe is capable of "any" type of drive pedal or gain pedal.----any.

So, are we to assume that YOU were not able to emulate the Barber pedals prior to the drives being G3'd?

IMO, your not gonna to receive many positive responses based on the tone of your second post. I could be wrong though.

You guys give 5 pages to some illiterate troll asking if the Axe can replicate the greatness of boss pedals, but no one has an opinion or any experience with what I'm asking?

Like most players here, I have tons of experience with garden variety Boss pedals but I don't have any specific experience with the super obscure pedals you are citing as an end user much less emulating them. And also like most experienced users I generally roll my own tones with AFX rather than trying to recreate specific pedals.

But that said, I am really digging your sense of entitlement.

So, are we to assume that YOU were not able to emulate the Barber pedals prior to the drives being G3'd?

IMO, your not gonna to receive many positive responses based on the tone of your second post. I could be wrong though.

Nope. I purchased it and haven't had the chance to really get inside it's capabilities. I never said anything about having a hard time recreating those pedals in my OP . . . . So . . . . . ?

I don't have it in my possession and I've seen several threads regarding the G3'd drives. I used the search function and couldn't find anything relating to what I was looking for.

Like most players here, I have tons of experience with garden variety Boss pedals but I don't have any specific experience with the super obscure pedals you are citing as an end user much less emulating them. And also like most experienced users I generally roll my own tones with AFX rather than trying to recreate specific pedals.

But that said, I am really digging your sense of entitlement.

Considering the high price tag of the axe and how a larger portion of guitar players don't know what the Axe is, Barber and Mad Professor are hardly esoteric. Mad Professor is sold at Guitar center.

Last edited:
Considering the high price tag of the axe and how a larger portion of guitar players don't know what the Axe is, Barber and Mad Professor are hardly esoteric. Mad Professor is sold at Guitar center.

Oh your OD is at GC? In that case, you are totally justified in your vitriolic demand for a response. LOL. :D

Again: Sure, I'm willing to bet a few people here have some experience with these pedals but no way it is anywhere near levels of familiarity with Boss stuff which is what you were complaining about. It is fully reasonable to expect the level of response to be commensurate with this.

Keep rocking that attitude; I'm sure it will help your cause.

Man people jump off the chain quickly..

easy answer is this... if they are not specifically emulated, then if it's an offshoot of a type of drive (808 clone, etc), then with all the adjustable parameters, you can probably tweak to match or get close. Can always request the specific drive to be added in the request forum.

worse case, use the fx loop and insert the drives into your chain, or run in front of the axe.

Man people jump off the chain quickly..

easy answer is this... if they are not specifically emulated, then if it's an offshoot of a type of drive (808 clone, etc), then with all the adjustable parameters, you can probably tweak to match or get close. Can always request the specific drive to be added in the request forum.

worse case, use the fx loop and insert the drives into your chain, or run in front of the axe.

Yeah, I did. Sorry about that . .

Thanks for the input regarding the drives.

Start with some research on how the pedal is constructed ( Tube Screamer derivative or ? Etc; ) ? Then if you can find the "modifications" that the builder made to come up with their special ( ie; better ) version ..., even better ... !

That will give you a starting point on which drive to tweak.

Personally, I'm with Stratman68 .... I think if you know what direction to head, the Axe can do ANY drive pedal made ....

But if you don't know much about the pedal you're going after, be prepared for a long slog, and a fair amount of disappointment ....

Start with some research on how the pedal is constructed ( Tube Screamer derivative or ? Etc; ) ? Then if you can find the "modifications" that the builder made to come up with their special ( ie; better ) version ..., even better ... !

That will give you a starting point on which drive to tweak.

Personally, I'm with Stratman68 .... I think if you know what direction to head, the Axe can do ANY drive pedal made ....

But if you don't know much about the pedal you're going after, be prepared for a long slog, and a fair amount of disappointment ....

Thanks for the tips! Will definitely look into what the SHOD and GC are based off of if anything.

Thanks for the tips! Will definitely look into what the SHOD and GC are based off of if anything.

I think that Bjorn Juhl started Mad Professor making just pedals, then he sold the licensing rights to the name and for a while there were two versions of some of the more popular ones .... IIRC - one was mass produced, the other was hand wired, with all the "mojo" that the internet lore could muster.

Do some searches on him and maybe you'll come up with something.

Barber Products, I don't know anything about .... Sorry !

Good Luck !

Back
Top Bottom