Can the FM3 serve as an interface for an iPad with Garageband?

I can't find a straightforward answer on this. I know there were workarounds to make it happen with older units, but can the FM3 operate as an interface with Garageband and current updated iOS?

I've recorded an AxeFX III and it works (I use Cubasis). The FM3 is also a class-compliant device, so all you need is a camera kit adapter.

Last edited:
Garage band runs in 44k for recording
the Fractal runs only in 48k
can it work ? Yes will you have audio dropouts and quality issues probably
it will work in Logic because you can select 48k
it will work in Reaper and Studio One Artist out of the DAWS i have personally tried

Somebody gave you some bad information :). GarageBand, Logic, Reaper, and Studio One will all work fine running at 44.1 with the AxeFX running at 48.

Somebody gave you some bad information :). GarageBand, Logic, Reaper, and Studio One will all work fine running at 44.1 with the AxeFX running at 48.

Garage band might but they are not supported
if you search the Garageband band threads here you will see issues are not uncommon

On the fly SRC is a pretty basic feature in MacOS and it works fine. Not only with Garage Band, but with other DAWs as well. I’ve searched on the forum and somebody posted a claim about Garage Band to the contrary, but the quote they posted is incorrect and did not come from Apple.

Anyway, this thread is about recording an AxeFX III or FM3 on an iPad and I can answer “yes”, that works, although I use Cubasis.

Last edited:
Garage band might but they are not supported
if you search the Garageband band threads here you will see issues are not uncommon
Number of threads on an issue is not a large enough sample size with which to extract robust enough information to draw reliable conclusions from.

I've just tried using the FM3 with Garage Band. GB will recognize the FM3 and you can designate it as the source and you will be able to play a dry signal into it. However, you will NOT be able to re-amp with GB. I've tried and it will not allow you to change the DI signal to FM3 Output 3 (see FM3 Manual page 26; Step 2: Re-amping #6). I exchanged emails with Fractal Support and they have confirmed that we cannot use Garage Band for re-amping. You'll have to purchase Logic or another DAW that allows this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom