Can the Axe-Fx III do this?

bstaley

Inspired
I'm currently using two wireless systems with my AX8. I have one for my standard tuning guitar and one for my drop D guitar. I use a A/B box to quickly switch between them live. If I get the Axe III, can I run a wireless into Input 1 (rear) and the second wireless to Input 2 and assign a button on the FC6 to act as a A/B switch? Is there any "secret sauce" on Input 1 that does not exist on Input 2 that would make it sound different?

I'd use one preset with 8 scenes live, and whichever wireless was active, I'd need to make sure the same wireless stayed active when I switch scenes. I DON'T want the state of the active input to change with each scene. It would need to be independent of the scene. It would be nice to eliminate another piece of gear (point of failure), so if the Axe III could do this I'd be one step closer to making the switch.

Thanks

I don’t think so, not without a scene change going to whichever input it was saved with.

I’ve used the Axe FX for a 4-output guitar (magnetic, piezo, octave down, and synth pickup outputs). I’ve had some pretty complex routing in presets. There are plenty of ways to switch inputs with routing, mixer block, input blocks and scenes, etc., but if you want the input to be completely unaffected by scene changes and you still want to be able to use scenes, your best bet is external hardware. Line 6 makes a footswitch-style wireless receiver that can switch between two different wireless packs with a button press.

In case you use the envelope follower (for auto wah and alike) you need to store where it gets triggered from, input 1 or input 2, and that get's stored in the preset. So you need different presets when you have an auto-wah.
Then there are some effects like pitch or comp that have similar settings about an input, but these are stored in the blocks. You need different channels of these blocks when you want settings for both guitars in the same preset.

Keep de A/B box in front of the axe,like you always used it .and no more headaches. Of course you can do presets,scenes and many more, but i think that this is a good start point.

Why would you not set up 2 Presets. One that relied on input 1, the other on input 2.

Then I would have to keep two full presets, along with 8 scenes in sync for any changes I might make. I know there are some options with global blocks, but I would really prefer to avoid that complication.

Why use 2 different wireless systems? I have one receiver and 2 transmitters. I just turn one off and turn the other one on when I switch guitars.

One reason is because I already own two Sennheiser systems. Two, my transmitters are tucked into velcro pouches attached to my straps, so I'd have to remove them from the pouch to access the power button. That would take much longer than simply pressing a button on a footswitch.

Now if you step on a switch of an external A/B-box or step on an IA to change settings, you need a switch to step on anyway.

If you want to get rid of the outside A/B-box, there's a way. But you need a switch at one of the four switch inputs of the FC-6.

The way then is to assign this switch as source of an external controller. And this external controller then is the source for modifiers in the input blocks #1 and #2, bypass setting.
In one block you need to invert iit's function, when one goes on the other needs to go off.

External controllers keep their value until you send a different one, they don't get reset on preset changes or scene changes. And the new preset already loads with the right status of the modified parameter, no hickups. Once turned on, it stays on, until you turn it off again.

You need to copy these input blocks with their modifers into all of your presets, that you want to work that way. But that is done only one time, no need to touch that again.

Now if you step on a switch of an external A/B-box or step on an IA to change settings, you need a switch to step on anyway.

If you want to get rid of the outside A/B-box, there's a way. But you need a switch at one of the four switch inputs of the FC-6.

The way then is to assign this switch as source of an external controller. And this external controller then is the source for modifiers in the input blocks #1 and #2, bypass setting.
In one block you need to invert iit's function, when one goes on the other needs to go off.

External controllers keep their value until you send a different one, they don't get reset on preset changes or scene changes. And the new preset already loads with the right status of the modified parameter, no hickups. Once turned on, it stays on, until you turn it off again.

You need to copy these input blocks with their modifers into all of your presets, that you want to work that way. But that is done only one time, no need to touch that again.

Thank you! That is what I was hoping for. I'd probably get one of those little Boss pedals and dedicate that as the A/B switch.

You can also have one plugged into the front input 1 and the back input 1. The front overrides the back, so unplugging from the front would activate the back input. If you wanted to do it that way

In case you use the envelope follower (for auto wah and alike) you need to store where it gets triggered from, input 1 or input 2, and that get's stored in the preset. So you need different presets when you have an auto-wah.
Then there are some effects like pitch or comp that have similar settings about an input, but these are stored in the blocks. You need different channels of these blocks when you want settings for both guitars in the same preset.

FracPad might be able to assign an envelope source modifier for this. If not, another workaround is different Control block channels (which would include envelope source setting, I think). Same idea for pitch/comp detection, although local (block in) tracking can often work fine for pitch and is typical for comp.

FracPad might be able to assign an envelope source modifier for this. If not, another workaround is different Control block channels (which would include envelope source setting, I think). Same idea for pitch/comp detection, although local (block in) tracking can often work fine for pitch and is typical for comp.

You can't change a channel permanently with a footswitch, it has to be selected again each time you change a scene or a preset.

What's missing? A parameter to stickify scenes in a preset could help or a way to assign external controllers to scene numbers.

You can't change a channel permanently with a footswitch, it has to be selected again each time you change a scene or a preset.

I realize that. I meant an auto-wah scene for each guitar might be an easier solution than maintaining two presets.

The modifier setup I mentioned should work though, if FracPad can assign it. The envelope source would reflect the Ext Ctrl state through any scene/channel/preset changes.

I'd use one preset with 8 scenes live, and whichever wireless was active, I'd need to make sure the same wireless stayed active when I switch scenes. I DON'T want the state of the active input to change with each scene. It would need to be independent of the scene. It would be nice to eliminate another piece of gear (point of failure), so if the Axe III could do this I'd be one step closer to making the switch.

"It would need to be independent of the scene. "

I'm not sure I understand what this means...

Let me see if I can break this down from physical inputs:
Input: Sennheisser (Standard) > Axe-FX III Input 1 > Scene 1-8 (standard | mute Input 2 signal chain)
Input: Sennheisser (Drop D) > Axe-FX III Input 2 > Scene 9-16 (drop D | mute Input 1 signal chain)
Grid: Input 1 > Amp > Cab > FX > Out 1
Input 2 > Amp > Cab > FX > (shunt to) Out 1

1 Axe-FX III would do all that. Just match scenes to mute your Input 1 or Input 2 dependant on the scene. Is that the flexibility of what you're thinking? Then no need for an A/B switcher (more hardware).

Or the simple route, use 1 wireless pouch on your belt, turn on mute for tuner, put it on tuner, swap guitars, plug in, away you go. Unless you're using a completely different tone for Input 2 signal chain?

I believe you can achieve what you're seeking, these are the droids you're looking for.

"It would need to be independent of the scene. "

I'm not sure I understand what this means...

Let me see if I can break this down from physical inputs:
Input: Sennheisser (Standard) > Axe-FX III Input 1 > Scene 1-8 (standard | mute Input 2 signal chain)
Input: Sennheisser (Drop D) > Axe-FX III Input 2 > Scene 9-16 (drop D | mute Input 1 signal chain)

You're describing 16 scenes where each only works with one guitar.

Imagine a real A/B switch for two guitars into one Axe-FX input. You could use all 8 scenes in one preset with either guitar. OP is wondering about doing the equivalent of that within the Axe-FX.

See posts #12 and #15 above for a solution and a few things to (maybe) deal with using this approach.

Thanks guys, I appreciate all of the advice. I think the simplest way to accomplish this is what was mentioned above, which is to just have one wireless plugged into the rear Input 1 jack and use the front Input 1 jack to defeat it when switching. I went ahead and placed my order for the Axe-III a few minutes ago. :p:D:)

Back
Top Bottom