Can the Axe-Fx II sustain?

Well folks...I have been trying for many hours using various compressor settings, amp blocks, overdrives, etc. But no matter what I do I cannot get a note to ring and sustain like this. I shake my hand and listen to the note die out. Damn frustrating. Surely there must be a way to get a blues tone and sustain at the same time.
The example starts at 2:47

Holy shit that was a good solo and starting with that one sustained note before tearing it up.....

I have a number of presets that do infinite sustain at bedroom quiet volume levels.
One, based on Steve Lukather's 1990s rig, uses a Mesa Mark III preamp, which is a gain monster, and a big midrange boost before overdrive.

This has so much saturation and sustain that it basically doesn't do a clean tone AT ALL. Any string noise that gets amplified, gets amplified to overdriven.

I’m my experience. You don’t need any fancy presets or compressors or effects. Just make sure the amp or distortion block you are using produces mostly even harmonic distortion. Drive block 4 knob tube driver into a clean amp block is what I use and my telecaster starts to resonate on its own. By the way I’m using a matrix amp and real cab

I find I can get more sustain good w/non-potted PAF pickups in the guitar rather than potted pickups. They are harder to control at high volumes. But, if you step away from the speakers at the right distance, she will sing!

Back
Top Bottom