Can someone point me to a few strat patches

dk_ace

Experienced
I just did some mod work on my strat, and now I love the way it feels and plays. The problem is that I don't have any real experience with single coil guitars or how to dial in sounds for them.

I've been playing humbucker guitars exclusively for about eight years now. The sounds I primarily have set up don't work really well with the strat, and I'm not sure how to get things dialed in right.

If you could, please point me to a patch or two on the exchange that you use with a typical strat (meaning no unusual pickup selections). If you don't mind, it would also be helpful to know what vol, tone, and pickup selections you primarily use with the patch.

Thanks,
D

dk_ace said:
If you could, please point me to a patch or two on the exchange that you use with a typical strat (meaning no unusual pickup selections).
All of the presets I've uploaded to Axechange are set up for a Strat (and a FRFR system, BTW). That's the only solidbody guitar I play.

my "Paco's OD Special FET" Preset is such a thing.....done with an old "made in japan" Strat (the great ones!) with stock PUs :cool:

I posted 1 setting that I really like in this thread:

http://www.fractalaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1024

Nice, bluesy kinda patch. See if you like that.

I'm finally having time to work on some patches every once in a while, so once I get some more that I like I'll start putting them up on the AxeChange. I just like to let the patches sit a while. You dial it in, and then a week or two later with fresh ears you decide to tweak this and that ever so slightly until finally it's where you want it...

Unfortunately I'm not in a band at the moment, so I can't see who well the patches sit in a full live band mix. I often find that what sounds great in my bedroom either gets muddies up or doesn't cut through the band, so I end up tweaking the patches to "bring it up in the mix". 9 times out of 10, the result actually sounds better solo than my original one too. So if you play in a band you might have to tweak some of it or throw an EQ at the end or something.

Brain21

Here's one I wrote. I did this one because my strat (Suhr S1) was not feeling the love, so I set out on a single minded quest to find the best combo that would really bring out the straty qualities - punch, grind, SPANK, quack, you get the idea. Make sure to try turning on the PEQ block which provides a little fat boost at around 2K - big improvement to my ears. This patch works great for all positions: neck, bridge (humbucker) and the in-betweeners all sound great to me.

Thanks guys!

I'll be sure to give these a try next week!

Oh, and BTW, my strat is one of those old, great MIJ models as well. I have the stock pups in there, but I'm considering changing them. My tech is great with strats, so I'm about to let him mess with it some and let me know what he thinks about the pups.

I took the strat to a rehearsal this week and the band liked it. I wasn't sold on it due to the sounds just not really being dialed for a strat. I did get some cool stuff from the 2 and 4 positions though. Towards the end, there was a song that needed some big, gutsy sounds and I just couldn't pull them out of my strat. I switched to my PRS McCarty, and it was just what the doctor ordered. I enjoyed the 2 and 4 pos. strat stuff enough that I'm definately going to work on dialing some stuff in for it.

D

I give Suhr pickups a huge thumbs up. I have his V60LPs in both my Suhr and my Strat. The Suhr Fletcher/Landau are suppused to be great. One nice thing about strats is they can really cut through any mix. I really like having a humbucker in the bridge because it gives you a more thick and compressed tone in addition to the airy tones. Still sounds like a strat with the HB though.

I know what you're saying about the big gutsy thing. But on the other hand, Scott Henderson's tone on the Live album is the definition of big and gutsy, so it can be done.

The PEQ in my patch really makes the strat sound bigger and fuller IMO - just sounds thin when I shut it off. You can try shifting the boost freq. to suit your guitar and tastes.

Back
Top Bottom