Can someone please help me with S/PDIF?

Hello folks, newbie here.
My Axe-Fx II XL+ arrives Wednesday and to say I'm stoked would be an understatement.

Onto the topic, I know nothing about S/PDIF, how to use it, what it's for, etc. so please — someone, enlighten me!

What I do know is my audio interface has S/PDIF I/O, and of course, the Axe-Fx.

I'm trying to keep my audio interface into the equation so with that said,
I want to go Axe > interface > monitors

What's the difference (if any) between going from Axe-Fx OUT to interface IN versus S/PDIF?

Spdif is great. Just make sure your Axe fx patch is volume levelled and not clipping then you don’t ever need to worry about the volume going into the interface. You won’t have to match left and right levels for example.
Also people say there are extremely small latency benefits and you bypass any colouring from the interface inputs as well as avoid another round of digital to analogue conversion.

I'd go for SPDIF also for the same reason, especially to avoid the additional D/A (Axe FX) and D/A (interface) conversion. Moreover you'd need a real high end interface for the same quality of conversion your Axe FX offers.
But be aware that the Axe FX does only offer 48kHz sampling frequency! I you want your project in another sampling rate you should check what sounds better: The additional D/A - A/D convertion or the internal recalculation with another sampling rate...

Spdif is great. Just make sure your Axe fx patch is volume levelled and not clipping then you don’t ever need to worry about the volume going into the interface. You won’t have to match left and right levels for example.
Also people say there are extremely small latency benefits and you bypass any colouring from the interface inputs as well as avoid another round of digital to analogue conversion.

Truly appreciate the input guys but that still doesn't help me understand what S/PDIF actually is or what it's for haha!
I do know it's a type of digital connection and that's about it.

The idea of bypassing my interface's converters are exactly what I want to do whilst still using its USB connectivity.

Can you explain how to connect to my interface and explain in detail why those methods are needed?
I mean, I'm sure it's Axe-Fx S/PDIF out > interface S/PDIF in, and vice versa (or not) but I really need in depth detail on
how and why, and most of all — it's purpose.

Last edited:
Spdif is a digital connection. This is not the optical spdif but the coaxial spdif. It’s capable of sending only stereo digital PCM uncompressed audio and I think it’s also 48k.
I’m doing this from memory by the way so I might be incorrect.
It’s real simple. Axe spdif out > audio interface in and Axe spdif In> audio interface out. So you have two cables connecting.

I use my Axe fx this way into a steinberg UR28M interface and have never felt I needed to chnge it.
It’s real simple.

Spdif is a digital connection. This is not the optical spdif but the coaxial spdif. It’s capable of sending only stereo digital PCM uncompressed audio and I think it’s also 48k.
I’m doing this from memory by the way so I might be incorrect.
It’s real simple. Axe spdif out > audio interface in and Axe spdif In> audio interface out. So you have two cables connecting.

I use my Axe fx this way into a steinberg UR28M interface and have never felt I needed to chnge it.
It’s real simple.

Thanks.

So when you say It’s capable of sending only stereo digital PCM uncompressed audio,
does that mean you cannot record mono tracks?

So, for example, in my case, inputs 7 & 8 on my interface are somehow tied to S/PDIF as well.
Going DI into my interface, I'd typically use input 1 to record.
That said, with using S/PDIF, I now choose 7 or 8 & will be able to record?

You should be able to record mono tracks with no problem, you may or may not need to pan or mute one of your 7/8 channels in your DAW or interface mixer, but you will figure it out easily enough once you get your hands on it. Have fun!

You should be able to record mono tracks with no problem, you may or may not need to pan or mute one of your 7/8 channels in your DAW or interface mixer, but you will figure it out easily enough once you get your hands on it. Have fun!

Thank you!

You are going to need a SPDIF cable. They look like standard RCA type wires but thay have a specific spec that accomodates the signal.(75 Ohm resistance) Also know that the USB connects directly into your computer with a digital signal and offers four channels into your computer and two channels back into your AX.. Two processed left and right and two direct that are not processed. When you get comfortable concider recording all four. You can use the uneffected channels to reamp back through the AX and fashion your tone to match your song or layer different amp sounds etc. Or just record the two poscessed channels without the hassle of reamping. Maybe something you are interested in for the future.:)

Last edited:
You are going to need a SPDIF cable. They look like standard RCA type wires but thay have a specific spec that accomodates the signal.(75 Ohm resistance) Also know that the USB connects directly into your computer with a digital signal and offers four channels into your computer and two channels back into your AX.. Two processed left and right and two direct that are not processed. When you get comfortable concider recording all four. You can use the uneffected channels to reamp back through the AX and fashion your tone to match your song or layer different amp sounds etc. Or just record the two poscessed channels without the hassle of reamping. Maybe something you are interested in for the future.:)

I 100% want the ability to reamp.
However, I am not using the Axe-Fx as an audio interface.
I want to use S/PDIF as a means to connect to my interface & not use its (interface) converters.
You can do that, right? Instead of outting the Axe to the interface's standard input, use S/PDIF instead?
I also want the ability to reamp but that's another topic of understanding that I hope to grasp in the very near future.

I you use USB it will show up in your DAW digitally and you can monitor your DAW with your interface. Don't think of it as replacing your interface. It is in addition to your interface adding a few more ins and outs just for the AXE.

If you are plugging into the Axe as the first interface, that's where the A/D conversion will take place. The digitally converted signal will then be passed on to the other interface via s/pdif (or USB straight to computer). Since it has already been converted, the second interface doesn't need to convert it therefore its converters are bypassed.

An important point which hasn't been raised is; Clock Source.
Whenever connecting digitally there must only be one 'Master' clock source. So in the case of only two units being connected digitally one unit must use it's 'internal' (making it the Master) clock while the other uses 'external' (making it the Slave). Changing these settings can be done within each units setup menu. Similarly with multiple units, one master clock with multiple slaves.
Failure to setup properly usually leads to clicks and pops or a 'white noise' hiss in the signal.

Last edited:
USB (universal serial bus) can carry digital audio. You don't need SPDIF. The AXE's USB bypasses your audio interface and goes straight into your computer.

I'm confused, can you be a little more specific?
I do not want to use the USB on the Axe.
I want my interface to be the means of connectivity and use the Axe as basically a preamp.
According to previous posts, S/PDIF connection will bypass the interface's converters, which is what I am trying to achieve.

Why do you want to use SPDIF so badly if you don’t know what it is, haven’t used it in the past etc?

I feel like your trying to make things extra complicated on yourself and I’m not following what the reason is, other than that you have an interface which has it. I do to, but I’ve never once felt the need for it.

The Axe usb audio is super easy, allows real easy reamping and DI tracks without any extra effort and is essentially plug and play, plus it’s still digital and the Axe has fantastic converters as is.

Why do you want to use SPDIF so badly if you don’t know what it is, haven’t used it in the past etc?

I feel like your trying to make things extra complicated on yourself and I’m not following what the reason is, other than that you have an interface which has it. I do to, but I’ve never once felt the need for it.

The Axe usb audio is super easy, allows real easy reamping and DI tracks without any extra effort and is essentially plug and play, plus it’s still digital and the Axe has fantastic converters as is.

If you have no beneficial input, I see no point in even chiming in.

If you have no beneficial input, I see no point in even chiming in.

Well my new friend... if I didn’t chime in every now and then how would I of gotten my post count up to 4017 ? Of which, I’ve gotten 3965 “likes” on my posts, so I do think I have something of value to contribute around here, or at least some fellow forum members, yourself not withstanding, think so.

That said, I was trying to help you, and the first part is trying to figure out why you feel the need to use something that you admittedly said that you don’t know what it is. Why are you trying to make things harder for yourself ?

Sorry if I’m not giving you the hugs and handholding approach

I would suggest plugging the s/pdif cables in, then you have the option of whether or not to use them.

I use both USB & s/pdf depending on what interface/s I need for a particular session. As I said, the only adjustments that need to be made is the clock settings.

Yes the pre-amps on other interface will be bypassed.
Converters on Axe will be used whether USB or s/pdif is used.

Back
Top Bottom