Can someone explain step by step how to Replicate the Digitech Whammy Ricochet on a Axe Fx 3 with fc 12 using the pitch block. I want to control it on

bdcoach

Can someone explain step by step how to Replicate the Digitech Whammy Ricochet on a Axe Fx 3 with fc 12 using the pitch block. I want to control it on the FC12 not an expression pedal.

Instead of an expression pedal, assign a control switch to the whammy control parameter. You can then use the modifiers attack and release times to control how fast it glides between the min and max values and then back. Assign that control switch to a switch in one of your FC layouts and set the function to momentary and don't assign a hold function to that switch.

I'm assuming you want to do the momentary octave up effect? Where you step on the switch to make it go up and let go and it comes back down?

Start by defining a per-preset switch that's momentary and assigned to Control Switch 1:

Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 9.31.34 PM.png

Next, assign that per-preset switch to a switch on a layout on your FC-12. I used switch 2 on layout 1 on my FC-6 here:

Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 9.33.02 PM.png
Now add a Pitch block to your preset and set it to "Classic Whammy" mode, Up 1 Octave like so:

Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 9.33.50 PM.png
Right click on the "Control" parameter and set the modifier to be Control Switch 1. You can play with the Attack and Release parameters to control how fast the effect climbs from 0 to +1 octave when you press the switch and how quickly it descends from +1 octave to 0 when you let go of the switch. I have it set to the default 10.1 ms here and it feels pretty "zoo station"-esque:

Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 9.36.35 PM.png

Right click on the Bypass parameter in the Pitch block and assign Control Switch 1 as the modifier. Make sure the bypassed and engaged values are correct. And turn the attack parameter to 0 ms and release parameter to about 11 ms.

Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 9.37.14 PM.png

When you step on the switch on your FC the effect will engage and go from unison to +1 octace in 10 msecs. When you release the switch on the FC the pitch will descend in 10 ms and after 11 ms the block will be bypassed.

Edit: upon further contemplation it might easier to use auto-engage with fast position detection. Then you don’t have to fiddle with the release time on the bypass modifier setting every time you change the release time on the control modifier setting.

Last edited:
Advanced Whammy will give you more pitch range options if you want the other interval settings of the Ricochet. Leave the Start parameter at zero and set the Stop parameter to whatever interval bend you want in half-steps. Positive numbers bend up, negative numbers bend down.

To simulate the Oct+Dry mode, set the Stop parameter to +12 and set the Pitch block Mix to 50%.

And if you change the control switch on the FC from Momentary to Latching you can lift your foot off the FC and the effect will stay engaged.

Lots of fun ways to play here!

Last edited:
And also, set the high cut frequency in the pitch block to 4 or 5 KHz, whammys (old ones at least) cut out a lot of treble

Giving the preset is over the top. I will defiantly be adding the effect to my library. Again thanks guys.

You Guys Are AWESOM!!!!!! As AWESOME as the AXE FX Itself!!!!!!
Did you see my updated note on my bigger post? I think running the pitch block with auto-engage will give better results than having the modifer on both the bypass setting and the control setting.

Here's an updated preset.

Attachments

• [iaresee] Ricochet.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 56
Did you see my updated note on my bigger post? I think running the pitch block with auto-engage will give better results than having the modifer on both the bypass setting and the control setting.

Here's an updated preset.
Weird it doesn't load. I had the same thing happen with Burgs presets from Axcehange. Would you know why that would be? Never had that happen before.

Note that the Axe-FX modifier damping can't change the pitch at a steady rate, at least not in both directions. This is one of the better (or worse) examples of something that will sound kind of wonky as a result.

Back
Top Bottom