Can some one recommend a small mixer?

Laskyman

Inspired
I am going to start parting out some gear for an Axe, but I want to make sure I am able to "hear" it once I gather enough scratch- please recommend a interface/mixer that will allow me to use headphones to start the process- even inexpensive monitors- wont have a lot of money after getting a Fractal- go easy on me-
Standing by-
Thanks in advance

The AxeFx will drive most headphones directly through Output 2, although you'll need some sort of Y cable to hear both L & R.

The mixer you chose may depend on what you want to do with the axe. If you intend to buy a brand new mixer, think about it now so you dont have to swap out for a better one later. I record at home. A Mackie VLZ3-402 was perfect for me to run axe and keyboard together and conecct with the computer for direct recording. It has a headphone jack. I hear berringher also do good mixers (and cheaper), but the physical workmanship is apparently not as good.

I use Dynaudio BM5A monitors - they were pretty cheap, ex-demo. I had a single monitor to start with until I had the money for the second, and to be honest, I probably didnt need the second one except for recording purposes. If Im just playing to myself, I sometimes switch one off.

I cant stand listening through headphones tho. I have KOSS ur29 and Sony mdr-7506. I tweak patches with the monitors but I think you really need to create patches using the headphones to get the most out of using them.

The mixer you chose may depend on what you want to do with the axe. If you intend to buy a brand new mixer, think about it now so you dont have to swap out for a better one later. ...
+1!
I use a PHONIC AM 220 at home. But sometimes I wish I had at lest 2 more XLR-Inputs ... :roll
So make a wise decision. :p

33nvmdz.jpg

Small enough?
Just kidding. :) I once used some small Behringer mixer (Xenyx? I think). Worked well enough for the price. If you only need a mixer for amplifying the out signal, a mixer could be an overkill. I guess the net is full of small DIY headphone amp. schematics and layouts. If you are not completely noob to these things it should be easy to solder a few components together. Otherwise just get a small cheap mixer.

I use the Edirol M-10MX - in a rather complicated chain at the moment - but I used it solely for the Axe-FX at one point and it was clean enough. It has digital out too.

Last edited:
I'm using the Tascam M16uf and it is really working well. Lots of routing options seems quiet and as an interface it hasn't given any trouble in any software I've used it with. I'd buy it again if it was stolen without wasting a moment looking into something else.
...well...if they made one with midi I'd go for that for sure but other than that I'm a faithful user

Last edited:
One thing about listening through headphones is it is best if you not use your walkman headphones or you may be disappointed.

I use 100$ shure studio headphones. Not top of the line but not too shabby either and I am perfectly happy with the sound I am getting out of them.

But of course a lot of people don't have money laying around after dropping 2K on an ultra.

Behringers are ok for the price, but the quality is not the best. You get what you pay for.
I have purchased a ton of Behringer stuff and it just seems to fall apart. Circuitwise its solid but knobs and stuff, not so much.

If cost is not an issue try the Soundcraft Notepad. I got the 12fx. Its tiny, around 8" wide and sounds amazing.

Back
Top Bottom