Can one footswitch turn two pedals on and off at the same time?

dannyp64

I’d like to be able to turn on and off a drive block and a multiplex block at the same time with one foot switch. Is that possible? Basically is there a way to have multiple blocks turned on and off with the “Tap” of a single foot switch.

There are multiple ways to do this.

The first method uses Scenes. The bypass state of each block can be set individually for every Scene (each Preset has 8 Scenes). The footswitch is then used to switch between the scenes.

Another method is to use a Control Switch. You can assign a modifier to the bypass state of any block. If you assign the same controller to the bypass state modifiers of two different blocks (e.g. drive and multiplex) then that controller will control both block simultaneously. For example, you could assign Control Switch 1 to the bypass state modifier of both blocks and use a footswitch to turn on/off Control Switch 1.

There are probably others ways, but I think these two are probably the most popular.

There are multiple ways to do this.

The first method uses Scenes. The bypass state of each block can be set individually for every Scene (each Preset has 8 Scenes). The footswitch is then used to switch between the scenes.

Another method is to use a Control Switch. You can assign a modifier to the bypass state of any block. If you assign the same controller to the bypass state modifiers of two different blocks (e.g. drive and multiplex) then that controller will control both block simultaneously. For example, you could assign Control Switch 1 to the bypass state modifier of both blocks and use a footswitch to turn on/off Control Switch 1.

There are probably others ways, but I think these two are probably the most popular.
Thanks! I’m familiar with the first option but I’m trying to do it without having to change scenes.

I have 4 scenes with the same FX layout. Scene 1 is a fender amp with all the FX ready to be turned on and off with my foot switches. Just as if I were going into a real amp with my pedal board at my feet. Then I have a matchless amp on scene 2 with same FX layout, scene 3 a Friedman, and Mesa for scene 4.

Basically my scenes change my amp only.

I want all my FX as “stomp boxes” and I had an idea to see if I can turn on my second overdrive simultaneously with the Multiplex so it’s like I’m kicking into lead territory with the press of one foot switch.

I’ll try your second thought. Thanks!!

This is what I’m talking about! I see you stating ideas. Are these ideas that do what we want or are they ideas you hope Fractal minds can add? Are yours work around and or has Fractal solved it in a easier way?
I'm not aware of an easier way to do what that wish does with current firmware.

Yes I hope Fractal does something like this, because I think it provides a bunch of really useful capabilities in a pretty user-friendly way, with pretty minimal resource requirements and complexity.

However, I haven't seen any sign they're interested, which is a shame. It's my biggest Fractal wish, by quite a bit.

Yes I hope Fractal does something like this, because I think it provides a bunch of really useful capabilities in a pretty user-friendly way, with pretty minimal resource requirements and complexity.

However, I haven't seen any sign they're interested, which is a shame. It's my biggest Fractal wish, by quite a bit.
I’m with you on the wish!

Thanks! I’m familiar with the first option but I’m trying to do it without having to change scenes.

I have 4 scenes with the same FX layout. Scene 1 is a fender amp with all the FX ready to be turned on and off with my foot switches. Just as if I were going into a real amp with my pedal board at my feet. Then I have a matchless amp on scene 2 with same FX layout, scene 3 a Friedman, and Mesa for scene 4.

Basically my scenes change my amp only.

I want all my FX as “stomp boxes” and I had an idea to see if I can turn on my second overdrive simultaneously with the Multiplex so it’s like I’m kicking into lead territory with the press of one foot switch.

I’ll try your second thought. Thanks!!

An alternative approach would be to use Scenes for turning on/off effects (or multiple effects) and having your Amp block use "Scene ignore" so it does not change with Scene changes. Then you could dedicate 2 switches (on your Effects Layout) to setting the channel of your Amp block:
SW_1 tap : Select Amp1:Channel A (Fender)
SW_1 hold : Select Amp1:Channel B (Matchless)
SW_2 tap : Select Amp1:Channel C (Friedman)
SW_2 hold : Select Amp1: Channel D (Mesa)

Then you have the rest of the switches to perform Scene changes or individually controlling bypass of your effects (or a combination of both).

If you are not switching amps mid-song you could even just collapse amp switching to a single function (e.g. tap) of a single switch using the Channel Increment function or create an "Amp Select" Layout and use the tap function of four switches in that layout to select the amp. You could use Layout links from your Presets Layout to go to your "Amp Select" Layout and then use layout links on those switches to take you to your Effects Layout. Then you have one extra button push (Selecting Amp) when you select a Preset before getting to your Effects Layout. I guess you would also want to have a way to get from "Effects Layout" back to the "Amp Select" Layout, but that's pretty easy too.

It really all depends on your workflow, but the Fractal stuff is quite flexible to allow many different approaches. Having said that, I'm sure if Fractal implemented the wish that @Dave Merrill posted above then many would use it. Controlling bypass/channel of multiple effects with a single footswitch without using Scenes is a common question in this forum.

An alternative approach would be to use Scenes for turning on/off effects (or multiple effects) and having your Amp block use "Scene ignore" so it does not change with Scene changes. Then you could dedicate 2 switches (on your Effects Layout) to setting the channel of your Amp block:
SW_1 tap : Select Amp1:Channel A (Fender)
SW_1 hold : Select Amp1:Channel B (Matchless)
SW_2 tap : Select Amp1:Channel C (Friedman)
SW_2 hold : Select Amp1: Channel D (Mesa)

Then you have the rest of the switches to perform Scene changes or individually controlling bypass of your effects (or a combination of both).

If you are not switching amps mid-song you could even just collapse amp switching to a single function (e.g. tap) of a single switch using the Channel Increment function or create an "Amp Select" Layout and use the tap function of four switches in that layout to select the amp. You could use Layout links from your Presets Layout to go to your "Amp Select" Layout and then use layout links on those switches to take you to your Effects Layout. Then you have one extra button push (Selecting Amp) when you select a Preset before getting to your Effects Layout. I guess you would also want to have a way to get from "Effects Layout" back to the "Amp Select" Layout, but that's pretty easy too.

It really all depends on your workflow, but the Fractal stuff is quite flexible to allow many different approaches. Having said that, I'm sure if Fractal implemented the wish that @Dave Merrill posted above then many would use it. Controlling bypass/channel of multiple effects with a single footswitch without using Scenes is a common question in this forum.
I appreciate the write up you gave as I’m literally setting up my board now and realizing I want my compressor pedal to turn off on the Fender and Matchless scenes when I got for max distortion on drive 3 (Box O’ Crunch). The other two drives I have going are Drive 1 (a little boost of Sunrise Splendor) and Drive 2, (a more overdriven Sunrise Splendor). Both with a compressor on. Then when I want to go for it with Drive 3, I’d like the compressor to turn off at the same time. And turn back on when I turn off Drive 3.

Anyway, simple issues I know there are work arounds for but an “Easy Button” would be nice!

Maybe @Cooper Carter can put a word in for a feature like this.

Consider whether it would make sense to use presets the way you are using scenes and then use scenes to switch the FX combinations. With gapless switching, song/setlist features, and the ability to assign a footswitch to jump virtually anywhere (including to a different preset), I find there is less reason to try to pack everything into ‘kitchen sink’ presets that cover a wide range of tones (though I certainly am guilty of doing exactly that!).

Of course there are other approaches and you may be able to get there with control switches, for example - just wanted to ensure you’ve (re)considered the overall approach/strategy.

Consider whether it would make sense to use presets the way you are using scenes and then use scenes to switch the FX combinations. With gapless switching, song/setlist features, and the ability to assign a footswitch to jump virtually anywhere (including to a different preset), I find there is less reason to try to pack everything into ‘kitchen sink’ presets that cover a wide range of tones (though I certainly am guilty of doing exactly that!).

Of course there are other approaches and you may be able to get there with control switches, for example - just wanted to ensure you’ve (re)considered the overall approach/strategy.
Very true… I’m so focused on getting one preset with 4 scenes to cover it all.

Very true… I’m so focused on getting one preset with 4 scenes to cover it all.

And one of the great things about Fractal is that you can often do both! I have some kitchen sink presets that do almost everything, but then also some banks of presets for specific songs or genres, or even specific sounds. So maybe you could even try both approaches (using different banks of presets) and have the best of both worlds, at least to try.

They’re about done with rolling out the new FW on all units. Maybe some UI work next?

I have racked my brain several times over trying to accomplish this with chorus/flange/phaser (4CM into my EVH Stealth with another row for amp/cab/foh using OUT2 to FOH, and effects which end up being chorus 2, flanger2, phaser2) and this...
"Another method is to use a Control Switch. You can assign a modifier to the bypass state of any block. If you assign the same controller to the bypass state modifiers of two different blocks (e.g. drive and multiplex) then that controller will control both block simultaneously. For example, you could assign Control Switch 1 to the bypass state modifier of both blocks and use a footswitch to turn on/off Control Switch 1." from @scarbodave worked like a charm!!! Thanks buddy!!! I'm embarrassed I never thought of this. Doh!!

I have racked my brain several times over trying to accomplish this with chorus/flange/phaser (4CM into my EVH Stealth with another row for amp/cab/foh using OUT2 to FOH, and effects which end up being chorus 2, flanger2, phaser2) and this...
"Another method is to use a Control Switch. You can assign a modifier to the bypass state of any block. If you assign the same controller to the bypass state modifiers of two different blocks (e.g. drive and multiplex) then that controller will control both block simultaneously. For example, you could assign Control Switch 1 to the bypass state modifier of both blocks and use a footswitch to turn on/off Control Switch 1." from @scarbodave worked like a charm!!! Thanks buddy!!! I'm embarrassed I never thought of this. Doh!!
This is next level stuff for me. I’m loving that the fractal keeps getting better every time I learn more about it.

How do control switches behave when you change scenes or presets?

CS states can be defined per scene as On, Off, or LAST. The LAST setting keeps the current setting when changing scenes (sort of like scene ignore).

Same thing. They will obey the settings chosen for each scene in any preset. LAST is the default, so it will keep it's current state unless you specifically set it to turn on or off in a given scene. The state can still be manually changed with a footswitch after the scene loads as well.

Interesting. So I turn on a Last controller that turns on a drive, switch presets, drive is still on, regardless of how it was when the new preset was saved?

Back
Top Bottom