Can it replace my Axe FX II and X32 Rack?

getlostinsound

Inspired
The Axe FX III looks great! I especially love the idea of the expanded USB functionality. My main guitar/vocal/synth rig consists of an Axe FX II and a Behringer X32 rack. The Axe FX takes stereo input from my telecaster (magnetic + piezo) and the X32 acts as an audio interface, IEM monitor mixer, and patch bay for front-of-house.

I'm trying to figure out whether the Axe FX III can replace both units. Will this configuration work?

-Ableton and MainStage soft synth outputs to grid for processing --> out to FOH (USB input 1, output 1)
-Vocal mic input to grid for processing --> out to FOH (input 2, output 2)
-Stereo guitar (magnetic + piezo) to grid for processing --> stereo out to FOH (input 3, output 1)
-Click track and mono backing tracks to grid --> stereo out to FOH (USB 7+8, output 3)
-Mixer block gathers all of the above and sends separate IEM mix to output 4

Bonus points if somehow I can route the IEM mix to the headphone jack on the Axe FX III!

Is this doable?

Thanks,
Andrew

I'm thinking it should be possible. But I'm only going off of currently available information, as I don't have a unit..... Yet.

USB audio has its own input block that can be placed anywhere on the grid, but can probably only assign one pair of inputs? Swap output 1 and 4, use output 1 for IEM mix (which will show up at the headphone output), and use output 4 for Ableton, MainStage, guitar (magnetic + piezo) to FOH.

–Ableton and MainStage soft synth outputs to grid for processing --> out to FOH (USB input block 1+2, output 4 )
-Stereo guitar (magnetic + piezo) to grid for processing --> stereo out to FOH (instrument In & input 3, output 4)
-Click track and mono backing tracks to grid --> stereo out to FOH (USB 7+8 straight through no processing? output 3)
-Mixer block gathers all of the above and sends separate IEM mix to output 1 and headphone out.

You may also need to add a small mic-pre to your rig.

Last edited:
there is no Mic Preamp on the Axe-Fx III. there are XLR inputs on Input 2, but these are Line Level. you can of course add your own mic pre and do what you want.
Or you can just feed your mic into the Axe III (nice, easy-to-manage 1 Meg input impedance) and run it into the Tube Pre, or even just a filter for level boost. It works fine either way.

Or you can just feed your mic into the Axe III (nice, easy-to-manage 1 Meg input impedance) and run it into the Tube Pre, or even just a filter for level boost. It works fine either way.
i'm not that familiar with the technicalities of impedance and all of that. you think it's ok (noise level, etc) to just boost it without a mic pre? i think i tried that on a II before and didn't like the result at all.

i'm not that familiar with the technicalities of impedance and all of that. you think it's ok (noise level, etc) to just boost it without a mic pre? i think i tried that on a II before and didn't like the result at all.
Even without a mic pre, you'll get an accurate representation of what the mic is putting out, and it's going into a very low-noise input. Of course, if the mic needs phantom power, all bets are off. :)

What didn't you like when you tried it?

I've recorded plenty of vocals directly into my XL's Input 1 using the Tube Pre amp.

USB audio has its own input block that can be placed anywhere on the grid, but can probably only assign one pair of inputs? Swap output 1 and 4, use output 1 for IEM mix (which will show up at the headphone output), and use output 4 for Ableton, MainStage, guitar (magnetic + piezo) to FOH.

–Ableton and MainStage soft synth outputs to grid for processing --> out to FOH (USB input block 1+2, output 4 )
-Stereo guitar (magnetic + piezo) to grid for processing --> stereo out to FOH (instrument In & input 3, output 4)
-Click track and mono backing tracks to grid --> stereo out to FOH (USB 7+8 straight through no processing? output 3)
-Mixer block gathers all of the above and sends separate IEM mix to output 1 and headphone out.
Good thinking! I guess headphone always mirrors output 1, so that's a good way to utilize that to my routing advantage.

There's a thought; I just assumed the XLR inputs had mic preamps. I'll have to try my vocal mic with my Axe FX II and compare it to the preamps on the X32 rack.

Thanks, guys!

There's a thought; I just assumed the XLR inputs had mic preamps. I'll have to try my vocal mic with my Axe FX II and compare it to the preamps on the X32 rack.

Thanks, guys!
As long as your mic doesn't need phantom power, you should be okay.

Back
Top Bottom