Can I use Channel 1's balanced AND unbalanced outs at the same time?

sgplayer76

Inspired
Hi Everyone, I tried searching for this first, but did not find my answer... Can I safely use channel 1's balanced XLR *AND* unbalanced TRS outputs at the same time?
I am currently using channel 1's balanced XLR outs into my studio monitors and channel 2's TRS outs into my recording interface. I would like to add a subwoofer (the sub I have does not match my monitors and only has TRS and RCA inputs, no outputs). I need an extra set of outputs to feed the sub. I briefly tried connecting the subwoofer to the unbalanced TRS outs on channel 1, while running my studio monitors with the balanced XLR outs (at the same time). It definitely worked, but there was a noticeable volume difference (the XLRs are hotter). I am thinking that I could power my studio monitors with channel 1's XLR outs, my recording interface with channel 1's TRS outs, and the subwoofer with channel 2's TRS outs. I need to know if I am risking possible damage to the Axe doing this. I would be more willing to swap the sub and the recording interface on channel 2 (depending on my needs) than run the risk of damaging the Axe. It would be nice to have all three hooked up at the same time though!

The unbalanced TRS outs are 6 dB lower than the balanced XLR outs (just the nature of balanced vs unbalanced). There shouldn't be any issues with using both at the same time, other than not having independent control over each set. If you want to be safe, send an email to support to get an official answer.

The unbalanced TRS outs are 6 dB lower than the balanced XLR outs (just the nature of balanced vs unbalanced). There shouldn't be any issues with using both at the same time, other than not having independent control over each set. If you want to be safe, send an email to support to get an official answer.
That is probably the best advice - seeking help directly from support. I kind of doubt that using both outs at the same time would hurt anything, but I would feel a lot better knowing for sure. I'd hate to damage my Axe using it incorrectly. I was thinking that I will probably connect the sub to the second set of outs on channel 1. That way the monitors and sub volume will both be controlled by the Output 1 knob. I can compensate for the 6db difference using the subwoofer and studio monitors level controls. Thanks for your help! I will contact support now.

Here's the answer from support: "Yes you can do that."
I figured I would post the answer in case someone else was interested in using both output connections in channel 1 simultaneously.

I figured I would post the answer in case someone else was interested in using both output connections in channel 1 simultaneously.

Thanks for posting this, I was going to ask the same question.

to make up for the volume change. you could use the 1/4" jacks from output 2, in your I/O settings i believe make sure that its set to copy out 1 > out 2.

then you have a separate level control for output 2 to your sub.

I do this live with a powered wedge on stage. i send a signal the board likes and then i also send a signal that i can adjust for stage volume without messing the boards signal

I used to use both until I noticed a buzz that was only present when the XLR out was connected. Turns out there was a grounding issue in the XLR feed that caused it to carry over to the 1/4" output (that was going to my in-ears).

So yes you can use it but it can cause noise if there is a ground issue from the board.

I did not try the built in ground lift now that I think about it...

Back
Top Bottom