Can I use AFX3 as a MIDI interface to Mac for old MIDI synths w/o USB?

bxlgotham

Inspired
I think the answer is no, but not sure. I assume the MIDI interface on the AFX3 is really to control it, but I have a Yamaha TX816, fully loaded with eight slots. I want to control it from PatchBase2 (software for Mac that has specific controller for this synth), but I don't own a MIDI interface for my Mac. I can get one, but wondering if I can use the AFX3 and connect the Yamaha to its MIDI input, and then would the AFX3 be seen or rather show this device via USB to my connected Mac? Will this work or would it mess up my AFX3? Or just not work at all?

No. This was actually a feature in the Axe-FX II but sadly has not been implemented here. Fingers crossed that it will be one day.

It‘s not that bad. You still only need one cable. A USB to DIN cable to your computer instead of a midi cable to your AxeFX. Hardly anybody uses MIDI interfaces these days.

I don't really understand. How does DIN work and how does it work with TX816?

I don't really understand. How does DIN work and how does it work with TX816?
DIN is just the name of the style of connector MIDI uses.

The other guys are right. just get a USB to MIDI cable (actually an adaptor but who cares) Its so cheap, and is more flexible than trying to incorporate the AXE anyway.

Ive been Eyeballing MIDI interfaces. But prices are friggin dumb.
Anything you recommend? These cheap adaptors are hit and miss and more miss than hit and I have a dozen source vintage MIDI instruments. I not want them all connected by cheap adapters.

Anything you recommend? These cheap adaptors are hit and miss and more miss than hit and I have a dozen source vintage MIDI instruments. I not want them all connected by cheap adapters.
Honestly, MIDI adaptors are 100% today. I don't even know why i (we) worry about it. It's an easy process for a modern CPU (and even IC) to deal with. Its 31 Kb.

Just get one, or 5.

Back
Top Bottom