Can I carry AXE 2 in cabin bag in Airline ??

drizzlerock

I am traveling international and don't want to put my AXE 2 in checkin bag.
Want to know if AXE 2 will be allowed to carry in cabin bag in the flight just to keep safe.

Anybody travelled like this ? How r u guys traveling with AXE 2?

Last edited:
My rack gets checked in with all the rest of the gear, or shipped with cargo anyway. Try calling the airline and ask them, airlines handle such things completely different, one airline might be cool, the next one will give you he'll.

You'll see from this thread that there are a few options. However, very few allow you to stay within the 8kg (17lbs) limit that a lot of airlines require for carry-ons. Make sure you stay within the size restrictions as well and to take into account the space required for the Axe Fx's handles (i.e. the space needed from the front of the rack to the lid of your carrying case).

Cheers and happy travels

gspin

You'll see from this thread that there are a few options. However, very few allow you to stay within the 8kg (17lbs) limit that a lot of airlines require for carry-ons. Make sure you stay within the size restrictions as well and to take into account the space required for the Axe Fx's handles (i.e. the space needed from the front of the rack to the lid of your carrying case).

Cheers and happy travels

gspin

I've never seen an airline check how heavy your carry on bag is. They are way more concerned with the size. If you can heft it into the overhead without looking like its heavy, you'll probably be fine.

Cheers and happy travels

gspin

For what it's worth the axe fx will fit into a TSA standard size carry on bag but will have to go in diagonally from bottom to top because of the width of it with the handles included. It won't sit flat in a standard size roll on. At least not in mine.

The weight of my carry on stuff has been checked MANY times on tour! We even had to take out items out of our racks to make them lighter, anything is possible when you have to deal with the wrong g people at the check in

Traveling on Qatar airways and I am worried if they ll allow , and if they won't allow then what,
I can't imagine to check in my axe
Guys wish axe was more smaller like laptop size and lighter

I just flew for the first time in a while and they now have a 110 power outlet on each seat in coach. Made me wish I had a travel guitar and a pair of headphones with me to plug into the Axe.

I've flown internationally with my Axe II many times. When I'm concerned about carry-on restrictions, I take my Axe out of my 2-space rack and simply place the Axe inside a roll-aboard (I place the empty rack, filled with clothes, in my checked luggage. Make sure to get a roll-aboard that fits the Axe II, AND is airline regulation size. The one I use is a Briggs and Riley, cuz it's slightly wider yet still regulation; the Axe II fits perfectly. Before I had the Briggs, I had to remove the Axe's two front handles in order to fit into my carry-on. Wasn't such a big deal, but I prefer simple, so opted for the Briggs.

My band is doing 18 months long world tours, so many different airlines are involved. My worst experiences were when we went from Japan to Australia (trouble with hand luggage) and coming back home from Greece, that's where we had to take out some pieces from our racks before they would allow them as check In items. Best you can do is contact them in advance, and get a written statement, that might help when you run into trouble at the check In.

I've flown internationally with my Axe II many times. When I'm concerned about carry-on restrictions, I take my Axe out of my 2-space rack and simply place the Axe inside a roll-aboard (I place the empty rack, filled with clothes, in my checked luggage. Make sure to get a roll-aboard that fits the Axe II, AND is airline regulation size. The one I use is a Briggs and Riley, cuz it's slightly wider yet still regulation; the Axe II fits perfectly. Before I had the Briggs, I had to remove the Axe's two front handles in order to fit into my carry-on. Wasn't such a big deal, but I prefer simple, so opted for the Briggs.
This is also my strategy! Just make sure you read up on the involved airline's regulations regarding size and weight. I do this and switch back all the stuff in my bags after having received my checked in luggage on arrival.

I use a 4U gator rack case that I carry on and place in the overhead bin. Delta has never given me a hard time. Put the MFC and other stuff in checked luggage and have not had a problem.

Traveling on Qatar airways and I am worried if they ll allow , and if they won't allow then what,
I can't imagine to check in my axe
Guys wish axe was more smaller like laptop size and lighter

I have my AF2 in the 2U Gatorbag (newest model). It is the smallest 2U enclosure that the Axe will fit in, offers adequate protection, and is lighter than those big wood, metal, or plastic rack boxes.

It's the most mobile rack enclosure for me. From the inspiration of someone on the forum, I bought an Ultimate Support Amp-150 stand to put the AxeFx onto for live performance. It's angled so I can see it standing or sitting, and close enough to the ground that, should some idiot try to knock it onto the floor, it won't have much distance to travel (4 inches?) before it hits the ground, so low risk for damage.

In other words, this is the best option, IMO, for taking carrying-on the AF2

I can't stand airlines. Especially United.

They kinda know they've got you by the short and curlies when you show up to their desk, limited time to catch your flight, and suddenly, the "new policy surcharges" start being discussed.

For a guy who travels to surf, these "new policy surcharges" become very, very costly. I can't imagine what traveling with my Axe, 1 guitar, and 1 CLR will cost me to central america in the autumn. May have to go acoustic - risk may not be worth it.

Back
Top Bottom