Can I Alter Tuning of Just One or Two Strings (and not the other 4)?

I've got a handful of songs that require Lowered E string to D; one that requires open G tuning; and one that drops the E to C.
Is there a way to accomplish these tunings using the fractal so I don't have to actually change my open E tuning?
BTW, I'm using 6-string guitars.

So basically, I'm trying to apply the virtual capo function to just one or two strings within a preset/scene.

Steve

You can set it up so only lower or higher notes are shifted (I've got a couple 12 string simulator patches that have setups like this), but it'll get more shaky as you move down the neck and the notes get higher that way.

I can. You could :cool:

I just built this breakout box:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...blocks-for-hex-processing.163063/post-1989778

You don't need six Axe-FX, as @shemihazazel suggests. Only one is enough, because the axe-FX III has 7 inputs.

Currently it is limited to re-tuning 2 strings, because the Axe-FX III only has 2 Pitch Block, but we could re-tune the 6 strings differently if 6 instances of pitch block were allowed.

Many things can be made re-tuning only 2strings, though. My favorite is a octave down at strings 5-6 to emulate a bass.

Otherwise, get a Boss GP-10 or SY-1000. They do alternate tunings to perfection

Last edited:
You can set it up so only lower or higher notes are shifted (I've got a couple 12 string simulator patches that have setups like this), but it'll get more shaky as you move down the neck and the notes get higher that way.
This is what I was thinking too.... Basically you'd do it this way...

I'm not sure this would work in a way that's musically pleasing, but how you'd do it is basically build a 'crossover' within the AFX grid... by splitting the signal using filter blocks to separate the E string from the ADGBE strings. Then use the Pitch block to detune the E string. Then converge the 2 signals to 1 signal prior to hitting the Amp block (or drive, or whatever you want to add gain)................

note this would only work if the E string was played 'open'.... so probably not that helpful.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom