Can hear the guitar fine but cant adjust volume on track with logic pro x

MattHaz

hey all,

Noob here again. I appreciate the help with my last post but i have one last issue. I am using the standard axe fx II running usb into my mac book pro. I am using logic pro x. I can hear the guitar fine. When i go to record a track, i cant adjust the volume in logic, just on the axe. So ill have a clean tone track playing and ill want to throw on another track with distortion. The volume on my axe is at 50 percent. When i play the distorted track (or any track i am going to record for that matter), i cant adjust the volume until after i have recorded it. I am a super noob at all of this so i am trying to learn. Does anyone know why this is happening or how i can fix it?

Thanks for any help/advice!

Matt

What are your monitors plugged in to? You may be monitoring the Axe output and not the DAW.
They are plugged into the back of the axe. L and R. Its weird. I can hear it just fine. Has a great tone and everything. I just cant adjust the volume in logic until after the track is recorded. So basically, whatever volume level my axe is on is what i will hear while recording.

Thabks!

Sounds like you are monitoring with the Axe Fx. In this case, you typically mute the guitar tracks in the DAW (while recording) because you're hearing them directly from the Axe Fx.. and if you heard them from the DAW there would be latency.

If you want the guitar to be quieter, lower the volume of your preset.

Optionally, you can adjust Output 1 level and USB Return Level to get a better balance... But that seems less optimal.

They are plugged into the back of the axe. L and R. Its weird. I can hear it just fine. Has a great tone and everything. I just cant adjust the volume in logic until after the track is recorded. So basically, whatever volume level my axe is on is what i will hear while recording.

Thabks!

Yes, that is what should be happening based on what you are describing.

Guitar -> Axe -> Monitors (this is what you are listening to while recording, Axe volume control works)
DAW -> Axe -> Monitors (this is what you are listening to during playback, DAW volume control works)

We just has another thread like this one... If you want to monitor only from the DAW, you need to use a different output for the guitar and DAW. Say, output 2 for the DAW (since you'll want to use Output 1 for live use).

Sounds like you are monitoring with the Axe Fx. In this case, you typically mute the guitar tracks in the DAW (while recording) because you're hearing them directly from the Axe Fx.. and if you heard them from the DAW there would be latency.

If you want the guitar to be quieter, lower the volume of your preset.

Optionally, you can adjust Output 1 level and USB Return Level to get a better balance... But that seems less optimal.

Hah, I was going to mention latency too, but thought that would add confusion...

In reality, you *want* to monitor from the Axe for latency-free monitoring. The DAW may add latency due to buffers, plug-ins, etc.

So, as @unix-guy says, adjust the volumes so you get a good mix while monitoring your guitar through the Axe.

Simple, no :)

Hah, I was going to mention latency too, but thought that would add confusion...

In reality, you *want* to monitor from the Axe for latency-free monitoring. The DAW may add latency due to buffers, plug-ins, etc.

So, as @unix-guy says, adjust the volumes so you get a good mix while monitoring your guitar through the Axe.

Simple, no :)

Thanks guys! This makes total sense. I have never used an actual higher end piece of equipment so i am trying to get use to doing things correctly lol. Thanks for the heads up. Ill just truck ahead.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom