Can hear DAW output in Out 1/Headphones, cannot hear it in Out 2/Monitors?

Aeser

Inspired
I have never been able to figure out how to do this and everybody else seems to do it effortlessly. I have an audio interface (Universal Audio Apollo Twin Duo) which works in/out no problem, and when I switch to only my Axe FX III Mk II (non turbo) for the input and output device I can hear everything through my headphones which are obviously to output 1 fine through the axe FX's headphones, but had to have output 2 going to my monitors to hear the AXE FX in the room, but no matter what I do I can't figure out how to get it to output the DAW/computer sounds (it is connected through USB) through the monitors/Output 2, ONLY output 1/headphones.

I even made an aggregate device in my mac with the UA Apollo and the Axe FX which works for hearing everythign through the Apollo and tracking the Axe FX but then have to monitor through the apollo as it's the only thing that will go to both it's headphones as well as the monitors (i have a tiny soundcraft notepad mixer both the analog outs of the Axe FX and the monitor outs of the Apollo go to and the monitors are connected to THAT so i can hear everything).

I have a feeling i am missing something in some setting somewhere but I have no idea what or where so I've never been able to do it.

Does anyone know how to route the output from the DAW (ableton in this case)/computer out from the axe FX to my mixer/monitor instead of ONLY the Axe FX's headphones? (I can hear the Axe FX's guitar models fine through output2/the analog to my mixer and monitors, so I figure there's gotta be a way to get the sound from my computer that i can hear through the headphones like the guitar, through the monitors, like the guitar)?

Thanks!

To hear computer output which is sent to channels 1/2 on output 2, set the usb output mapping I/o parameter to output 2. Or use channels 3/4.

See also:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

Aw man, thanks! that worked for that perfectly! Only thing is obvs now the out 1 knob no longer works for the headphones. But in theory i can use the headphones from the mixer that the AFX and Apollo are both plugged into, it's just not nearly as loud/clear/nice as the headphone jack on the AFX but i can switch back and forth now if i want to do that. Thank you so much i'd been trying to figure that out forever.

I have the same setup and I found it more convenient to keep the Apollo as the primary monitor / headphone controller with its big knob, dim and mute functions.
Route the analog outs from the axe fx to the Apollo and in UAD console , you can balance computer audio and the axe fx.
In addition, I have an aggregate device so I can record via USB, re-amp etc. And since the analog outs go to the UAD, I have zero latency monitoring while recording.
No other mixer needed, works great.

I have the same setup and I found it more convenient to keep the Apollo as the primary monitor / headphone controller with its big knob, dim and mute functions.
Route the analog outs from the axe fx to the Apollo and in UAD console , you can balance computer audio and the axe fx.
In addition, I have an aggregate device so I can record via USB, re-amp etc. And since the analog outs go to the UAD, I have zero latency monitoring while recording.
No other mixer needed, works great.

Yea I was briefly doing that before, but i have an analog synth hooked up to the analog ins on the apollo and want to leave it like that (except for when I need to hook a mic up to d something too) but i also have a SPDIF cable I can hook the Axe FX up to the apollo with and do everything through that. I have an aggregate device with both set up too, both with the apollo first and another with the axe fx first. But i prefer going analog out of the axe FX to the mixer and the apollo analot out into the mixer and the mixer to the monitors so i can just play the guitar through the axe FX without needing the computer/apollo. also I'd like to figure out/get used to being able to re-amp with the axe fx and apollo as I always track a modeled signal and a DI signal every time i track guitar into my DAW, so i can hopefully in theory send the DI signal back out to the AXE FX to re-amp it too. But i might hook the SPDIF back up (i had it hooked up before but never ended up using it).

The main reason i don't want to go axe fx analog out to the apollo is needless digital to analog and then analog back to digital conversions degrading the signal when I go USB straight in and keep it all in the digital realm so no needless conversions until the final recording is played out through my speakers and theres one necessary digital to analog conversion. But in theory i do and keep everything in the digital realm including uploading it to soundcloud or bandcamp or whatever so the only conversion that ever happens is when people play the final mastered mix out of their speakers since good conversion is one of the most expensive aspects of the recording chain. I mean i have to do it obviously with the analog synth as it's analog so to record it it has to go through the apollo and get converted, and if i record anything through my micraphones as it's necessary, but using a digital amp modeller it's not necessary and I can keep it 100% digital so i do. And i already have the mixer, so...

Yea I was briefly doing that before, but i have an analog synth hooked up to the analog ins on the apollo and want to leave it like that (except for when I need to hook a mic up to d something too) but i also have a SPDIF cable I can hook the Axe FX up to the apollo with and do everything through that. I have an aggregate device with both set up too, both with the apollo first and another with the axe fx first. But i prefer going analog out of the axe FX to the mixer and the apollo analot out into the mixer and the mixer to the monitors so i can just play the guitar through the axe FX without needing the computer/apollo. also I'd like to figure out/get used to being able to re-amp with the axe fx and apollo as I always track a modeled signal and a DI signal every time i track guitar into my DAW, so i can hopefully in theory send the DI signal back out to the AXE FX to re-amp it too. But i might hook the SPDIF back up (i had it hooked up before but never ended up using it).

The main reason i don't want to go axe fx analog out to the apollo is needless digital to analog and then analog back to digital conversions degrading the signal when I go USB straight in and keep it all in the digital realm so no needless conversions until the final recording is played out through my speakers and theres one necessary digital to analog conversion. But in theory i do and keep everything in the digital realm including uploading it to soundcloud or bandcamp or whatever so the only conversion that ever happens is when people play the final mastered mix out of their speakers since good conversion is one of the most expensive aspects of the recording chain. I mean i have to do it obviously with the analog synth as it's analog so to record it it has to go through the apollo and get converted, and if i record anything through my micraphones as it's necessary, but using a digital amp modeller it's not necessary and I can keep it 100% digital so i do. And i already have the mixer, so...

Or I USED to have a SPDIF cable, before I moved from NH to FL. Just poured through all my stuff/boxes/everywhere it could be and can't find it anywhere. :(

The main reason i don't want to go axe fx analog out to the apollo is needless digital to analog and then analog back to digital conversions degrading the signal
The analog outs are only for zero latency monitoring. Recording is through USB via the aggregate device, so no unnecessary conversions.

But it does require you to turn on the Apollo whenever you need to use the axe fx.

Back
Top Bottom